GEN2 iPod Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have any luck integrating an ipod classic with their 802A raptor? Mine plays for a little while but soon fails. No search features work or anything - says it is integrating and then the failure notice comes up. I know its old school technology but I cant seem to give it up :)

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a similar issue since I got the truck, with no real success. The smarty-pants part of Sync is always trying to index the files, which I have a ton of on the classic (4,500+ songs). This makes it gag and defeats most of the search functions.

What I have done to defeat it as best I can, after going directly to Ford with not much other luck, is make several very long playlists. Usually, the voice search can at least do this, even while indexing. When the system totally gags on the Classic, you have to unplug it and do a hard reset on the iPod. I seem to have to do this about once a month or so. That's the best I've come up with so far. It will also usually skip to a new genre via voice command.

It's very frustrating that the system can't just treat it like a disc and navigate the files while it's indexing (like most other auto interfaces), but it can't. Like you, I don't want to give up all my music, and the best sound I've been able to coax from the stereo overall has been with the pre-equalized signal from the iPod. I have even tried burning all the files to a USB thumbdrive, and it still gags on the sheer volume of them. Carplay on the phone works pretty well, though, depending on the memory you have there. My next iPhone will have as much as I can get to try and solve this.

USCxGAMECOCK

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have any luck integrating an ipod classic with their 802A raptor? Mine plays for a little while but soon fails. No search features work or anything - says it is integrating and then the failure notice comes up. I know its old school technology but I cant seem to give it up :)

I have the same problem. I love using my iPod for my music and am pretty bummed that they don't seem to play nice with each other.

OP
OP
NE Raptor

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Yes mine does the same, it says its indexing but it never completes it. I do have a 256GB iphone so I guess I can start migrating everything over there, I just dont always want the car play hooked up. Over the years my ipod has been my go to and it is tailored just the way I want it. I like to leave it hard wired and its just always ready when you go. Damn first world problems lol...

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Yes mine does the same, it says its indexing but it never completes it. I do have a 256GB iphone so I guess I can start migrating everything over there, I just dont always want the car play hooked up. Over the years my ipod has been my go to and it is tailored just the way I want it. I like to leave it hard wired and its just always ready when you go. Damn first world problems lol...

I feel your pain, and it's totally a Sync issue. My old 1794 Tundra had no issue, nor does my wife's Mercedes. It doesn't even have an Aux input so you could just work around it. The playlist and genre tricks through the voice commands are the best I've come up with so far.

OP
OP
NE Raptor

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain, and it's totally a Sync issue. My old 1794 Tundra had no issue, nor does my wife's Mercedes. It doesn't even have an Aux input so you could just work around it. The playlist and genre tricks through the voice commands are the best I've come up with so far.

Good advice, I have a lot of playlists so I am going to try it. Yeah I had a 15 denali before this and although it had a hiccup every now and then, it worked really well. Thank you for the input, sir!

demerson3814

Reaction score
Would a usb stick work? That is what I do with my Gen1 Sync system, just leave it plugged into one of the USB ports.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever heard of the program "Senuti"? (Itunes spelled backwards).
This program will put your old songs on your old ipod on Itunes for you. Has always worked for me.

OP
OP
NE Raptor

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever heard of the program "Senuti"? (Itunes spelled backwards).
This program will put your old songs on your old ipod on Itunes for you. Has always worked for me.

I haven't but that is kind of my problem with transferring all of my old stuff onto my new iphone. The ipod is years built up collectively. I did something similar way back about 10 years ago and it did transfer but I had audio quality issues and problems with the stuff that I copied back from my ipod onto my new itunes. I may give this one a whirl though, I am sure the software has come a long way.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a usb stick work? That is what I do with my Gen1 Sync system, just leave it plugged into one of the USB ports.

That's what Ford told me to do, so I bought a 128gb micro thumb drive, loaded all my music on it, and Sync still won't search/index it properly. Again, I think if you have a lot of music/files, it just can't handle it.