Gen2 Front Suspension On Gen1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlkRaptor562

Reaction score
so im in need of repairing my front suspension do to wear and i came along a new Gen2 2017 complete suspension, I would like to know if the Gen2 suspension can be installed on my Gen1, Shocks Control Arms and all any feed back would help thanks!

bwep

Reaction score
I installed Gen 2 shocks in my Gen 1. . Had to use Gen 1 springs and top hats.This was a experiment for me . I have always had a small thumping noise when going over small bumps, almost like bad sway bar links. Tried lower shock mount tightening. Re torque tie rods,upper and lower ball joints. Disconnect sway bar. Checked upper and lower control arm bushings. 55,000 miles and 2 sets of Fox 2.5's (my truck does not see off road) first time its never sounded rattly up front over small bumps. Finally doesn't sound like the front end is lose. Not sure what my next move is, but not in a hurry to remove them. Now I know for sure it was the shocks making the noise.

Note :
These shocks will limit travel(up and down) due to extra length of shock body's. They are also difficult to get in due to the added length. Also it will raise the nose of the truck around a 1 1/2, very similar to the mid perch.

I will be looking into finding a reasonable priced replacement shock that is properly sized for this truck. Not interested in Fox's 2.5 rattle stock shocks. Maybe a good re builders can fix the problem during a refresh?

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Several threads on this ... rears will bolt right up. Front gen2 shock body will need the top hat and coil-springs from the gen1 shock. You will get biding in the front if you do any sever off roading.

I am running GEN2 rear shocks on my GEN1 now. No issues.

Again .. there are several threads on this so do a search.

ZackZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several threads on this ... rears will bolt right up. Front gen2 shock body will need the top hat and coil-springs from the gen1 shock. You will get biding in the front if you do any sever off roading.

I am running GEN2 rear shocks on my GEN1 now. No issues.

Again .. there are several threads on this so do a search.
Running the gen 2 rears also. Bolt right in and have had no issues. Got a small amount of added droop travel. Bolt them in and send it

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
DO NOT swap the knuckles. The gen1 knuckles can be gusseted and are way stronger. the gen 2 knuckles are like rubber and like to bend.

The upper arms and lower arms are slightly different. you arent gaining anything by using them. Buy some camburg upper arms instead.

The shock scenario has been covered, so I won't comment on that.

patrapt

Reaction score
hi zombiekiller
I think you had to do this manipulation, is it possible to take the knuckle of gen 1 and install on gen2 and only in front shock or /and rear, then for the arms, it is necessary to take only the high camburg or the set.
i was interested if you have picture for the installation.