Gen2 features missing from the Gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2500 miles on my Gen3 35 and I love it, it's improved in almost every way from my 2019 Gen2. But not every way...there are a few things I miss!

1. Gear display. The Gen2 could show me which gear the truck was in at all times. The Gen3 does not.
2. Gear lockout. The Gen2 could lock out gears above a certain number. Great for twisty mountain roads where otherwise the transmission upshifts too much. The Gen3 doesn't allow this - it's full manual or full auto, no lockout. If you pull the paddle shifters in auto - yes, it will change gear - but then go right back to auto after a few seconds!
3. Oil temperature gauge in the Measurements page. Simply missing. Also Air/Fuel ratio and one or two other things.
4. Storage under the rear seat backrests. In my Gen3 the inverter is there. This sucks, I kept a lot of stuff there and it was super handy. The folding storage bin under the seats themselves is not a substitute, because it blocks the flat floor, which I also use all the time. Can't believe in an oversized Tonka truck like this they couldn't find somewhere else to put the inverter.
5. Steering mode memory. The Gen2 would remember my steering mode (Comfort) between restarts. The Gen3 resets to Normal each time.

It kind of sucks that 4/5 of these are software features that really don't cost any money on the production line. Not holding out hope that they will come in an update - but maybe I will get a surprise when they send out the update for BlueCruise.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forscan should be able to help you with 1 & 3 and possibly #2.

#4: The inverter is located there is all Ford trucks, follow the link for a relocation kit or you could fab your own. https://www.havis.com/products/K9_INSERT_OPT_INVRTR_JACK_KIT_F150-132601-51553.html

5. I believe was rectified for MY2022 with the "R" button. So it could be possible to be added in with Forscan. I would contact Graygoosedesigns and see if he could figure out adding the physical button to the 2021.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the gear indicator was removed due to the number of people taking the trucks in for service due to "skipping" gears. This was reported in another thread about this.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe when you go into the infotainment. all the settings can be saved associated with a user profile and can be linked to the key fob you use. saves all your settings. I dont know if the steering is included.
plus the R button will at least save the steering, suspension, exhaust and drive mode. thats a super handy button

number 4 is completely right. now I need to get some other type of storage in the bed maybe those side swing out bins because I like that flat area when the seats go up that is the worst thing but I needed the generator.

Ta2punk

Reaction score
I believe when you go into the infotainment. all the settings can be saved associated with a user profile and can be linked to the key fob you use. saves all your settings. I dont know if the steering is included.
plus the R button will at least save the steering, suspension, exhaust and drive mode. thats a super handy button

number 4 is completely right. now I need to get some other type of storage in the bed maybe those side swing out bins because I like that flat area when the seats go up that is the worst thing but I needed the generator.
I’ve seen several people across different sites say that saving settings through the infotainment simply doesn’t work for some. Also, the 21’s do not have an “R” button, that is only on the 22MY so far.