Gen2 and Towing - Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick11

Reaction score
Did your truck bottom out during your trip?

There are a couple of top-of-leaf solutions which would help.

SuperSprings:
https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssa28/

Roadmaster Active Suspension:
https://activesuspension.com/

I had the SuperSprings for my Gen 1, but I am looking at the Roadmaster solution for my Gen 2.

Oddly enough no bottoming out, and I must of been around 500 lbs above the payload rating and was on some really rough roads.

I am interested in solutions that would improve the handling when towing, although it didn't bottom out it was far from perfect. Just performed well above my expectations.

Do any of the solutions you recommended above have an impact the truck's off-road ability?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oddly enough no bottoming out, and I must of been around 500 lbs above the payload rating and was on some really rough roads.

I am interested in solutions that would improve the handling when towing, although it didn't bottom out it was far from perfect. Just performed well above my expectations.

Do any of the solutions you recommended above have an impact the truck's off-road ability?

You can do simple off-roading, but if you want to really flex the suspension you will need to remove them. The Active Suspension is a lot easier to remove which is another reason I am going to try it with my Gen 2.

I left the supersprings on my Gen 1 for months at a time without any problems.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hooked up to a 30ft Airstream last week, not sure what it weighs, but the back droped a little over 2" when hooked up.
We run an Anderson WDH and really like it...no crazy bars, no noise and although my actual towing was only about 10 miles the truck handled better then expected and had plenty of power.

Airstream1.jpg

AS2.jpg

Anderson1.jpg

Anderson2.jpg

Nick11

Reaction score
You can do simple off-roading, but if you want to really flex the suspension you will need to remove them. The Active Suspension is a lot easier to remove which is another reason I am going to try it with my Gen 2.

I left the supersprings on my Gen 1 for months at a time without any problems.

Thanks man, I appreciate the reply.

I took my F150 Raptor, Trailer, Dirt Bike, Family all the way up to the Yukon and back safe & sound. While I was up there did some of the most amazing Offroading of my life.

There were times I was following buddies down old mining trails in their half tons & one tons and even with their A/T tires the max speed they could do it would be around 30-60 kph.

I would be able to fly down those roads comfortably at around 100-120 kph lol. Not even embellishing those numbers.

Given all this truck can do I am fine with it's compromised towing ability in stock form.

Overall just super impressed with the stock package Ford put together here, there is a reason these trucks used to sell for 10k above MSRP...

joey185

Reaction score
I thought you were not suppose to use an Anderson with an Airstream. I believe they issued a warning about it because it puts to much stress on the tongue.?

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought you were not suppose to use an Anderson with an Airstream. I believe they issued a warning about it because it puts to much stress on the tongue.?

I never heard that, but decided it would be a good idea to follow up on....The only thing I found at Anderson was this:

NOTE: Currently the Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600 couplers are not compatible with the Andersen WD Hitch (all other Atwood couplers are fine).

My girlfriends A/Stream is a older 1973 model, hard to tell what coupler it has...

I do know this, the Anderson worked VERY well with my truck and I didn't go crazy with the chain tension.

infantrytroop22

Reaction score
I hooked up to a 30ft Airstream last week, not sure what it weighs, but the back droped a little over 2" when hooked up.
We run an Anderson WDH and really like it...no crazy bars, no noise and although my actual towing was only about 10 miles the truck handled better then expected and had plenty of power.

How much less did it squat with the WDH?

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy on the other side of my neighborhood bought a Raptor like mine and I saw him last week towing his boat.

Attachments

• 7D190232-8CF4-4131-97C9-3AC88AABF956.jpg
    7D190232-8CF4-4131-97C9-3AC88AABF956.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 147

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much less did it squat with the WDH?

I wished I actually measured, but it using my eye-crometer it cut the squat in about half..so about an inch with the WDH...

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate the reply.

I took my F150 Raptor, Trailer, Dirt Bike, Family all the way up to the Yukon and back safe & sound. While I was up there did some of the most amazing Offroading of my life.

There were times I was following buddies down old mining trails in their half tons & one tons and even with their A/T tires the max speed they could do it would be around 30-60 kph.

I would be able to fly down those roads comfortably at around 100-120 kph lol. Not even embellishing those numbers.

Given all this truck can do I am fine with it's compromised towing ability in stock form.

Overall just super impressed with the stock package Ford put together here, there is a reason these trucks used to sell for 10k above MSRP...

I drove mine from Illinois to Alaska (local dealer wanted 20k over msrp, got one for MSRP) within the first week of ownership, they do very well on the ice and snow, not just the deserts that most others use them for. I balance the load in my enclosed trailer as best as possible it's still a 7500lbs load with the side by side and gear in there, I use a Curt WDH short arm trunnion style, and sway control bar. I also use the Super Sumo bump stop replacement when towing, as a temporary solution to the rear suspension. They bolt in place of the factory bump stop about 5 min to swap them out but as long as you aren't jumping or rock crawling I don't think they would mess with the rear suspension enough to take them off. But it would be easy to do once you get to your destination and unload bed and unhook trailer. I do plan to replace the rear springs, I'm leaning towards the Icon springs, more options that don't require ordering new springs, so I'd be able to swap or change leaf pack later to adjust when I get around to changing the front suspension.

Last edited: