Gen2 and Towing - Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyRoss

Reaction score
I am a new member to this forum. I own a 2014 Roush Raptor and I just bought a 2018 Gen2 SuperCrew today.

I will fully admit that this is a concrete princess and looks great at Starbucks and is my commuter (50+ miles daily).

Has anyone covered if it will be halfway decent towing a 2016 Malibu 23 LSV about 15-20 miles and if anyone has come up with some modifications to make that any better.

According to Malibu the Boat weighs 5800 + let's say 500lbs of gear.

I know it is not what truck was designed for but has anyone done this or has some input.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are going to want to change something in the back. I towed a much lighter trailer with my 2018 SCREW and the rear sagged 2.75" which made the front about a 1/2" higher. It looked bad for a brand new truck!

I am going with Deaver +3s and RPG bumpstops in the rear with Geiser Springs at the front. The Geisers will level the front and the +3s will make the rear about 1" higher and should prevent the mild amount of sagging I experienced with a lighter utility trailer. In your case, you will want to get the Deaver HDs in a +2 or +3 configuration based on how high you want to go with yours.

The +2s will keep your truck at the factory height in the rear.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ agreed you are going to look silly driving nose high down the road with any sort of weight in the back. These trucks are not meant for towing. I seen a Raptor towing a car trailer with a car on the back and it was slammed in the back.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my 2400 pound race car, 1000 pound trailer and spare wheels, fuel and tools and it drove like complete shit. The raptor is the worst tow vehicle I've ever used. I've even towed this car and trailer with a honda element and it was easier.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Youre going to want to go with deavers.

If you dont want to spend that sort of coin, take a look at roadmaster active suspension.

I have deaver +3s and I still use the roadmaster helpers whenever I tow. ( 3500 lb hot rod on a 2600 lb 20' deckover featherlight.)

And word the the wise - If you go geiser front springs and even Deaver HD springs, with 10% tongue weight you're still going to end up squatting and being nose high.

So, Unless you need a light for some other reason, go Deaver +2 HD rear springs. CALL THEM to custom order the set and give them the details on your trailer and tongue weights. It will take longer to get them, but it will be well worth the extra time.

You'll also still want some sort of mechanical sway control. Perhaps just try the roadmaster kit ( it is $399 IIRC), before you drop 1500 on bump stops, 1425 + shipping on deavers, Whatever the geisers cost, etc etc etc.

I've used the roadmaster kit on 2 f-150s since 2011. They still work just how they did when new. I used to have them on my 2011 EB screw, with which i towed every bit of 10,000 lbs with through the smoky mountains regularly. ( gooseneck featherlight with a 66 galaxie r code and a 2005 Ford GT on it)

butts182

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tows my 21’ Contender just fine. Actually, it ties it amazing. Way better than my ‘14 5.0. Just hook it up and go. Use tow mode

KDCane

Reaction score
Boat trailers are a little different animal than a car or equipment trailer. Most of the boat weight is over the axles and the tongue weight isn’t as much. Get the right drop and you should be fine. I haven’t towed my 19 ft center console yet but I’m sure it will be better than my old 2014 4Runner.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true as long as you have a light tong weight it might not be that bad. I guess only way for OP to find out is hook it up and tow it around some.