GEN 2 Gen2 3.5 Cuts out on hill climbs or when bogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the desert southeast of Lake Tahoe and making a run up a 25-28° incline when the engine just cuts out and the vehicle slammed on the brakes, I was in rock crawler mode. I slowly backed down and made a subsequent attempt when half way up (150-200’) it cut out again and this time the engine stalled.

Yesterday while out at the dunes in Pismo Beach and in Sand mode (4H with locker) the truck would randomly cutout while making those large sweepers across the faces of some of the larger dunes. The frequency of the engine cutting out wasn’t consistent with slip angles or rotation rates, once time it happened on a hole shot going. relatively straight and level.

It’s happened in Baja, Sport 4H/locked, and Mud/Sand, up hill, down hill, level. The only consistent fact is that my foot was all the way in it in the sand however maybe only half throttle during a hill climb the previous day in Rock Crawl Mode.

I’m lost on this one....

2e3977e8a5d6fd94504885b7248cd1bb.jpg

0f186b61e1f62ade963728928506418a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you define cutout? Betting its the nannies kicking in. You need to disable the stability and roll control. Search FRF.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Ive had loss of throttle response. The engine has no issue, the throttle signal just doesnt do anything.

I pull my ABS fuse to disable all nannies.

Interesting, more info on this please. Lights come on? Still cut power above 45 getting sideways? Does it mess with the drive modes?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure most of those modes use the abs speed sensors to control will spin and give feed back to the traction control system.

I know sand and rock mode do.

Which is probably why it freaks out and cuts power

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel level was 3/4. I’m thinking its Stability Control but isn’t that off in Rock Crawler mode or 4L?

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel level was 3/4. I’m thinking its Stability Control but isn’t that off in Rock Crawler mode or 4L?

I found that my truck likes to cut power at the worst time when screaming up a sand dune in Baja or Mud/Sand mode. So now, every time I go to the dunes, right after putting the truck in Sand/Baja mode, I hold down the traction ctrl button for 10 sec to switch off ALL nannies. It makes things 10x better.

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that my truck likes to cut power at the worst time when screaming up a sand dune in Baja or Mud/Sand mode. So now, every time I go to the dunes, right after putting the truck in Sand/Baja mode, I hold down the traction ctrl button for 10 sec to switch off ALL nannies. It makes things 10x better.

Awesome!