Gen1 uprights on a Gen2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I heard this would work? SDHQ makes a sweet gen1 upright with the TIG'd on reinforcement and double sheared steering pieces. Would love to do the swap.

ZackZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forged Offroad told me that the gen 1 will not work on the gen 2. However I have seen a few guys do it for the exact reason you mentioned for strength. I have not seen one right next to the other so I can’t personally say whether forged is correct or not.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have the SDHQ knuckles with their tie rods utilizing the double shear option but I have a GEN1

83758b31fdaf9dec3be40f6bfb48c768.jpg

I haven’t heard of anyone using this on a GEN2. Why don’t you just call SDHQ and ask them? Make sure and get a name if they say yes and it doesn’t work out.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
yes, they work on gen2s. The gen2s are cast wet noodles that you cant weld gussets onto.

The gen1s can be reinforced.

If you don't want to do that, ADD sells stronger uprights that they market specifically for gen2s.

Not sure why forged offroad says that they dont work. thats the first that Ive heard of someone having that opinion.

Id love to understand why they feel like they dont work.

D

Deleted member 12951

yes, they work on gen2s. The gen2s are cast wet noodles that you cant weld gussets onto.

The gen1s can be reinforced.

If you don't want to do that, ADD sells stronger uprights that they market specifically for gen2s.

Not sure why forged offroad says that they dont work. thats the first that Ive heard of someone having that opinion.

Id love to understand why they feel like they dont work.

I imagine because maybe there was a misunderstanding and they thought they meant GEN2 front shocks. I haven’t heard them called Uprights. I’ve heard spindles and knuckles but not uprights. I mean even google when searching for Ford F-150 Uprights comes up with nothing related. Google the same for Spindle or Knuckle, hits all day long. Granted they have been known as uprights by some folks but bad choice of words from the OP in general.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine because maybe there was a misunderstanding and they thought they meant GEN2 front shocks. I haven’t heard them called Uprights. I’ve heard spindles and knuckles but not uprights. I mean even google when searching for Ford F-150 Uprights comes up with nothing related. Google the same for Spindle or Knuckle, hits all day long. Granted they have been known as uprights by some folks but bad choice of words from the OP in general.
No I'm not wrong, spindle is the snout so I wouldnt call them Spindles, you can call them a knuckle but I believe upright is the correct term IMO. As long as when talking everyone knows what you are talking about then honestly it doesn't really even matter.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
they will not work. lower ball joint is different size taper

is the balljoint size the same, with just a different taper? possible to swap out the balljoint to make them work? The gen2 knuckles kinda suck. ( and no, i dont have the problem anymore due to midtravel, but a lot of folks want to strengthen their factory width builds. )