Gen1 To Gen2 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

a229837

Reaction score
Also... you have a low mile 14.. pretty much the most sought after Gen 1.
Its worth more complete and original than if you hack it up.
Thanks for the feedback. Tough dilemma but I suppose it's a good issue to have. I love what I have and it has all the bells and whistles, it's just the front end on the new ones look so awesome. Maybe an upgrade to a 22 Code Orange with the 37" tires would settle things.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wrong. Aircraft are alodined, primed and painted. Not bare. They don't get all the nasty crap they put on the roads and they Corode. We fix Corrosion on Planes every Damn day at work. Another reason Aircraft are continuously expected all the time. Aluminum is also prone to cracking cause it is very rigid, unlike steel that flexes and bends
Whatever you say guy. You're comparing aircraft with automotive; two completely different applications. Aluminum does not "crack" in automotive applications because it's not subjected to the rapid pressure and temperature variances that an aircraft experiences, which is just another good reason not to fly. I've been on enough flights that required "emergency maintenance" before takeoff to know that you're taking your life in someone's else's hands every time you get on a plane. Aluminum body panels are superior in every way in automotive applications.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but I literally just got done taking a continuing education class about roofing materials. They flat out stated that aluminum is less prone to corrosion than steel. But I slept through half the class, so... Now we've covered aeroplanes, trucks and houses.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you say guy. You're comparing aircraft with automotive; two completely different applications. Aluminum does not "crack" in automotive applications because it's not subjected to the rapid pressure and temperature variances that an aircraft experiences, which is just another good reason not to fly. I've been on enough flights that required "emergency maintenance" before takeoff to know that you're taking your life in someone's else's hands every time you get on a plane. Aluminum body panels are superior in every way in automotive applications.
Don't have time or energy to go into all the testing and qualifications I have seen and go through to explain to you. Unfortunately you or someone will find out when you get in a collision and drive through yrs of inclement weather. In short the only advantage aluminum has is its light weight to strength ratio, thats it

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't have time or energy to go into all the testing and qualifications I have seen and go through to explain to you. Unfortunately you or someone will find out when you get in a collision and drive through yrs of inclement weather. In short the only advantage aluminum has is its light weight to strength ratio, thats it
This is an automotive application, not aviation. The aluminum F-150 is going on 9 years in production; what you’re claiming is simply unfounded. The aluminum trucks will never have panel perforation like steel, yet are much lighter and stronger in many aspects, including dent resistance. The effects of operating a steel vs. aluminum F-150 in inclement weather are obvious, it doesn’t take any qualifications to see that.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I may know a thing or two..
There are a bunch of places that make glass for our truck, I have first hand experience with McNiel and ADV
McNiel sells 2 different 1 piece conversions, one is Gen 2 Raptor style headlights, the other uses the 20-21 F150 style lights... Thats what I did on my son's 2011.
ADV sells a kit that keeps hood, fenders, grill, valence all seperate. But I do not have install experience with them, just looked it over before and after.

If you go 1 piece, definately buy the tilt structure its a PITA to build.
The 1 piece I went with was 92 inches wide, so if you are on stock SVT suspension i probably wouldnt do the conversion. It will look way to skinny under the glass untill you mid travel or at very least run a wheel spacer. Rear glass is pretty straight forward and the same as doing anybody's bedsides.

If you are doing it just dor the look, I would have a serious conversation with your self on what you intend to do with the truck, building up suspension etc. I did it beacuse I was cutting the entire front clip off to do suspension, so it was the easy way to complete the truck.
Keep in mind you are fabricating and or cutting off a lot of things to accomodate the new bodywork and headlight assemblies which ever way you go. Then the fit and prep work can take some time as well. I figure I have a solid week to get mine right. I would hate to guess what kinda money you would pay someone to fab/install, finish and paint to get this complete but has to be $7-10k plus the parts.

View attachment 335621View attachment 335622
@a229837, the info in @Canuck714 ‘s post is all you need to know. Long story short, it is expensive, takes a good bit of skill to get right and in the end will devalue your truck. But I did it and love it.

Long story longer, if you want to get wild and do suspension, cut firewalls, go one piece, cage and have a nasty raptor prerunner then by all means Mcniel racing is your way to go. Get ready to drop 40k but it will be so worth it after.

You can go less wild with some of the other kits. I think the Mcniel one piece looks the best for sure but it’s wide. Super wide.

I’m a supporter of bad decisions so please don’t think I’m trying to talk you out of it. Just know the online purchase of the fiberglass will be the cheapest part of the whole conversion.
0261AB3F-DC8C-454D-9155-7669D2DAE767.jpegBC3BEDC9-8F09-443F-99A9-92BCDDB204D8.jpeg