GEN1 Beadlock Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgwoody

Reaction score
Been reading a lot on the forum about beadlocks, and still trying to decide if I wanna swap my stocks on my 2013 Screw out. After doing my due diligence, these are the questions I still have:

1) Does anyone have pics of their GEN1 (2013 Black Screw preferably) with GEN2 beadlocks installed? I can't decide if I want to do GEN1 or GEN2 beadlocks.

2) I know beadlocks aren't street legal when in "true" beadlock mode (as opposed to beaded normally and using the "beauty" rings). Assuming I'd never get pulled over by law enforcement, what are the issues with daily driving on highway in "true" beadlock mode? Is there a PSI max? Speed limit max? Road wobble? It seems like it would be a huge pain in the @ss to constantly swap between "true" bead and "beauty" bead anytime I want to pressure down.

3) If I decided to keep my stock rims, what's the lowest safe PSI I can pressure down to for off-roading? I've seen plenty of youtube videos of GEN1 raptor owners pressuring down but they never say to what pressure.

Druepy

Reaction score
2) Someone can correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of what makes beadlocks illegal is the fact that all the bolts holding the tire on need to be torqued correctly. If you neglect to check the torque at regular intervals you risk them coming unbolted while you are on the road. Obviously this creates a risk for other drivers on the road who might be in your path if you lose control of your vehicle if the beadlock ever comes off. As long as you are strict about making sure the bolts remain torqued you will not have issue.

For me, I don't see myself needing to be at beadlock level pressures (as much as I would like to convince myself I might).

Last edited:

Dvidal

Reaction score
2) Someone can correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of what makes beadlocks illegal is the fact that all the bolts holding the time on need to be torqued correctly. If you neglect to check the torque at regular intervals you risk them coming unbolted while you are on the road. Obviously this creates a risk for other drivers on the road who might be in your path if you lose control of your vehicle if the beadlock ever comes off. As long as you are strict about making sure the bolts remain torqued you will not have issue.

For me, I don't see myself needing to be at beadlock level pressures (as much as I would like to convince myself I might).
+1
CC.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

I ran stock beadlocks on mine for years. I even purchased the rings to convert them over. Never did it though.

Folks that run them have been doing it without issues and I haven’t heard anyone talk about disasters happening. But they are checking torque every 1-2k miles.

The only way to really do it is to have two set of wheels/tires to me. Your daily ones and the true beadlocks when you off-road and that was my plan. In that configuration, you can air down to single digits but I wouldn’t do that blasting through the desert, slow stuff yeah all day long. I would feel comfortable in true beadlocks at 18-20 doing that.

Using my stock beadlocks with the beauty rings, I would air down to 28. And I have been down to 14 at the sand dunes. I have taken my fair share of tires off the rim when off-roading too, especially when taking corners too hard. One thing I didn’t like about the beadlock wheels was the amount of mud they collected and a pain to get off it when dried.

Forward to today. I still have them and the real rings, in boxes. I ended up getting the Method Trail Series 701s. Best of both worlds if you ask me. You can air down further than a normal wheel and they do not collect mud in the ring since there isn’t one. I’ve been off-roading in these with 28 in the front and 25 in the rear at speeds over 100 in dirt and having a great time around corners. To date I have not taken a tire off the rim.

My 2 cents, hope it helps

fad1f8e25f26a495561e4fd24bb5f679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2011 with gen 2 beadlocks. Gunna order the true rings soon
f116b81ef1ec661d7d7c133a96e9e47d.jpg

My 2012 has gen 1 beadlocks (i have 2 raptors ;))
00bc57ebf9373d622bf2273a94b80947.jpg

As far as not being dot... Doesn't matter, run it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Must be nice!

complexCarlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always wondered how 17-18 beadlocks looked on first gens. Not bad despite me liking the 19 option wheels better

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2011 with gen 2 beadlocks. Gunna order the true rings soon
f116b81ef1ec661d7d7c133a96e9e47d.jpg

My 2012 has gen 1 beadlocks (i have 2 raptors ;))
00bc57ebf9373d622bf2273a94b80947.jpg

As far as not being dot... Doesn't matter, run it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed.

Gotta say, love that Gen1 beadlock look, even though mine aren’t true beadlocks like yours! ;)

E71987CB-8E29-41FB-9F55-E48C15FCC86A.jpeg