Gen 3 worth it? Debating backing out for TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a TRX and just sold it for a GEN3. The TRX is BA but you really notice the weight of it when you’re driving it hard. The Raptor can be thrown around and is much more agile IMO. I also was averaging 10mpg as my daily and with gas prices at 5.50 and filling up twice a week, it was killing my enthusiasm. Ford has really come a long way from the previous Sync generations and I’m being honest when I say that I prefer the Raptor interior over the TRX. The big screen on the TRX is nice but the cluster is outdated and UConnect remote functions are expensive once the free trial runs out. ($200+ a year just for remote start basically)

Fordus

Reaction score
Hey Guys, hoping for some feedback from existing gen 3 owners.
Ive been waiting 9 months for my Gen 3 and Ford horrible updates, I committed to a TRX. Of course, this am I get an email that Ford built my truck and will be delivered in 20 days.

So im in a predicament now. The TRX obviously has the power, but thats irrelevant to me. The interior and ride quality sold me, but only in comparisons to my Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Are you guys impressed with the Gen 3 updates, and anyone own both?
I know some ppl here
Will curse the the hell out of me but that’s okay. Go for it baby brother. By far get the TRX and you will have no regrets and that’s what I did when I figured out that the gen 3 raptor has a Mexican engine and no more apliqee and some mechanical issues as a cam phasers while warranty won’t help and shipping them with missing parts.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep waiting for the Gen3. I have had Gen1/2 four different trucks. Have Gen3 37 now. It is a much better truck. However the shifter is playskool crap.

DungysColts

Reaction score
I have had both recently! And hands down before it is a better vehicle. Although the TRX Head sakes you with power that's pretty much the only category that the truck wins in. I got rid of the first edition TRX largely because of the gas mileage that is 100% understated by most people. Anyone who says that that's not a big deal has never owned one. I was literally getting 8mpg. I'm premium gas, that was absolutely ridiculous. Full-time four-wheel-drive is unnecessary and hideous. The bill polity is OK but the tech in the Raptor is 100% better. The 801a package is amazing and rams only does it à la carte! $85,000 and it doesn't even come with runningboards. It's totally stripped down for less than $97,000. Get the raptor

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding gas mileage, I remember as a kid seeing a mint 69 Boss 429 Mustang on a dealer lot for $2300. (worth $200,000+ today) This was in 1974 when gas prices were doing the exact same thing as today. No one wanted a car that got less than 10 mpg. They say history repeats itself... Hope not.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Haha im here. Think im gonna stick with raptor. Theres a ton of TRX’s out there right now, so worst case i dont like the raptor, ill sell and snag a trx.
Of course. Post pics upon arrival. Glad we could provide psychology services free of charge for you...

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a TRX and just sold it for a GEN3. The TRX is BA but you really notice the weight of it when you’re driving it hard. The Raptor can be thrown around and is much more agile IMO. I also was averaging 10mpg as my daily and with gas prices at 5.50 and filling up twice a week, it was killing my enthusiasm. Ford has really come a long way from the previous Sync generations and I’m being honest when I say that I prefer the Raptor interior over the TRX. The big screen on the TRX is nice but the cluster is outdated and UConnect remote functions are expensive once the free trial runs out. ($200+ a year just for remote start basically)
Nailed it. I had a launch edition TRX. Very fun truck, but the weight difference is noticeable, especially off road.
It's a direct competitor obviously, but I felt Ram went for more of street truck route on the TRX than they did offroad/baja truck.
Overall I prefer the Raptor, but had fun with the TRX while it lasted and would definitely revisit it in the future if they make a Red Eye version.