Gen 3 worth it? Debating backing out for TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick955

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, hoping for some feedback from existing gen 3 owners.
Ive been waiting 9 months for my Gen 3 and Ford horrible updates, I committed to a TRX. Of course, this am I get an email that Ford built my truck and will be delivered in 20 days.

So im in a predicament now. The TRX obviously has the power, but thats irrelevant to me. The interior and ride quality sold me, but only in comparisons to my Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Are you guys impressed with the Gen 3 updates, and anyone own both?
So I'm not coming from a Gen 1 or 2 so I cannot personally compare them. My buddy has a Gen 2 and he was the one that got me all hyped on the Raptor. He drove the Gen 3 and was sold on the improvements overall. We actually ordered the same time back in October. He doesn't even have a VIN yet and I got mine just a few weeks ago. I've had two BMW M3's and Jeep Cherokee's for winter and regular DD crap. I wanted one vehicle that was like a little of both and then some... Raptor or TRX. I knew I wasn't going to get M3 acceleration... and like you, I didn't care, but I wanted something unique and still offered capabilities of both. I am absolutely in love with this thing. It rides so nice and the interior is better than I expected. It rides better than the Jeep and goes over all the crappy roads effortlessly. I am familiar with the Chrysler electronics and neither of the Jeeps caused me any pains. One thing I didn't have in the Jeep was the Android Auto which I am really liking. My nephew has a new Dodge Ram with just about everything. It's gorgeous too, and I thought it was enormous until he pulled up next to this beast the other day... lol. I prefer the overall appearance of the Raptor better than the TRX too. They say gas prices are going to keep going the wrong direction... significantly. JP Morgan predicts nationwide prices will be $6+/gallon... The clueless imbecile in charge and his cabinet of blundering buffoons isn't going to change anything soon so given acceleration isn't what you care about, just stick with the Raptor, especially if you got MSRP or a good deal!

Last edited:

JJP023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These personal experience's are worthless with the overall picture. I have a 2020 Lincoln Aviator fully loaded that has had plenty of issues. I also have a Gen V Viper that is perfect. That said I ordered a Raptor back in January but not willing to pay the extra money for the TRX because I have fast cars. I would buy the TRX if the big HP was of interest. Otherwise stick to the Raptor.

I agree with this 100 percent. It all depends on the type of driving you are going to do with the truck. If the pick up is going to be your daily driver AND your fun car then I say TRX. But if you have other cars that give you your speed fix then I say raptor all the way.

I have other "fast" cars that give me my speed thrill. I daily drove F150s for the last 9 years before I got my Gen 3. Its basically a pick up on Steroids and I love it. But like I said, I use it for work and a daily driver. I have other cars that give me the speed and performance thrill. I def considered a TRX but also considered the tickets Id have daily'ing something that is pushing 700hp.

As far as quality, its a toss up. I've had good and bad experiences with all different brands. I had an 09 SRT challenger that I bought in 09 and drove for 5 years with no issues. I also had a brand new benz that was shit off the lot. It is what it is.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters to Raptor/TRX buyers but gasoline is expected to hit $7.50 in CA and close to $6 everywhere else by the end of summer. A 30 gallon fill up would be $225 at $7.50 a gallon and $180 at $6 a gallon.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Not that it matters to Raptor/TRX buyers but gasoline is expected to hit $7.50 in CA and close to $6 everywhere else by the end of summer. A 30 gallon fill up would be $225 at $7.50 a gallon and $180 at $6 a gallon.
That $7.50 will be $8.50 for premium. I'm in O&G biz and I hate to tell you it's going to be north of $6 based upon futures we are seeing. I would not be surprised to see $8.25 for lowest octane in CA mid-Aug. It's going to be ugly and we all know who to thank.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either. At the end of the day, both trucks are rad and it will come down to personal preference. I own a TRX and only negatives are fuel mileage, averaging 9 mpg with mostly city driving on 37s, and it's not as forgiving as a Raptor in the dirt. The Raptor can make a less experienced driver confident in the dirt while a TRX needs to be driven but will end up being a coin flip on which is more capable.

Unless you're pushing these trucks to the limit in the dirt where the Raptor is a little easier to drive, the TRX will be more fun 99% of the time.

OP
OP
Dadlife

Dadlife

Reaction score
I agree with this 100 percent. It all depends on the type of driving you are going to do with the truck. If the pick up is going to be your daily driver AND your fun car then I say TRX. But if you have other cars that give you your speed fix then I say raptor all the way.

I have other "fast" cars that give me my speed thrill. I daily drove F150s for the last 9 years before I got my Gen 3. Its basically a pick up on Steroids and I love it. But like I said, I use it for work and a daily driver. I have other cars that give me the speed and performance thrill. I def considered a TRX but also considered the tickets Id have daily'ing something that is pushing 700hp.

As far as quality, its a toss up. I've had good and bad experiences with all different brands. I had an 09 SRT challenger that I bought in 09 and drove for 5 years with no issues. I also had a brand new benz that was shit off the lot. It is what it is.
ya Ive had a few nice exotics in my day. So speed really isnt the big selling pt. I really loved the trx ride quality in town.
I dont do much offroading. This will just drive me, the wife and 3 kids to and from lake with the boat, and to our cabin in tahoe.
Neither truck fits my usage of it.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
ya Ive had a few nice exotics in my day. So speed really isnt the big selling pt. I really loved the trx ride quality in town.
I dont do much offroading. This will just drive me, the wife and 3 kids to and from lake with the boat, and to our cabin in tahoe.
Neither truck fits my usage of it.
Mine drives my daughters to and from gymnastics most of the time. You'll love it once you actually take delivery.