Gen 3 Windshield Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You peeps drive in the rain??? Lol.
@smurfslayer I hear ya. Bad experiences for sure. I guess it’s just the individual shop you deal with. The manager of my local safelite is a nice guy who seems to care about the customers. I’ve always (3 times I believe) gotten an appt within a week and each time they’ve done a good job. Yet, I hope to never see them again. Lol.

wyomingraptor

Reaction score
I really can’t remember what rain drops sound like on a windshield. It’s been really dry here for many years.

My gen 1 raptor and all I have seen did not have the Carlite sound control windshield. Never paid much attention to the gen 2. V6 TT makes me gag.

Gorilla Glass was just coming out when I retired and sold the business. Last year I ordered a Wrangler 392 and asked the new owner of my old shop about GG.Worked with him for 20 years and trust his judgement. He didn’t care for it at all. He said the miles you drive them toys it will never matter! He told me to get out more.

Damn it he’s right again!

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hit 2k on mine, rock flew forward of an 18w coming towards me and hit the bottom drivers corner. Spread to about a dollar bill, tried a resin kit but it was too big. Did the drill trick and it seems to have stopped the Crack but I assume that I'll need a new one shortly

OP
OP
RaptorFan1988

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses! I’m going to do some research and see if I can take it to another shop that’s a bit more reputable. Now I’ve got that unobtainable gorilla glass on my brain though… Eugh.

BigTaco

Reaction score
Pricey for sure. Remember the Raptor isn't just DI, it also has port injection. I'm sure it's good oil though.

Yes, they say Soundscreen on them. It's accoustic glass, Carlite makes it. Rain makes a nice subdued plop noise instead of a sharp smack noise.

I have OEM glass in most of my Fords, and some PPG crap repalcement on another and I can easily tell the difference in the rain.
Carlite is a Ford Company, no?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced by safelight/Gieco. I came home to a after market cheap windsheild. I had to have them come and replace the unit with an OEM one. It was a nightmare but apparently you have to really be specific and choose oem glass. Beware of this going in. The price diff was only 300.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced by safelight/Gieco. I came home to an after market cheap windsheild. I had to have them come and replace the unit with an OEM one. It was a nightmare but apparently you have to really be specific and choose oem glass. Beware of this going in. The price diff was only 300.
$300 for you or your insurance company?

Raptor37noadm

Reaction score
Bs. Insurance is required to replace you back to original equipment - or equal/better if original isn’t available. There is no way they can replace you with lesser quality because it’s cheaper - not how Replacement Cost works. They pay “what it would cost to replace the exact part damaged”

All windshields aren’t created equal.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No disrespect meant, but are you a glazier? How can you tell by looking at a windshield it’s cheap? And what does cheap mean? Cost? Thinner glass? No bluish strip across the top?

I mean, I know for instance in a Porsche you can pay over a grand extra for sound insulated glass, etc. but I’ve had many windshields changed over the years, and aside from 3 on my 4 Raptors which were current model year when it happened and Safelite went to bat on their own initiative and volition with Geico and had OEM replacement, on my older vehicles, and I’m a picky consumer, I can never remember driving out and saying, wow, what a cheap piece of crap this replacement windshield is.