Gen 3 Windshield Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FRF,
Has anyone replaced their windshield yet on a Gen 3?

I have a large scratch on mine directly in front of the driver line of sight and filed a claim through GEICO. During the claim process they only asked 2 questions, 1) Is this a LIMITED or a PLATINUM trim? and 2) Is the damage longer than a dollar bill? I marked yes to the first question because I figured it was asking due to the camera features offered on the raptor.

They automatically set up an appointment with a safelite rep and they reached out to me to confirm my appointment. Of course GEICO is not going to cover an OEM glass replacement so I'm going to consider paying for this out of pocket as I'd prefer OEM. Anyone have any rough ideas of what this should cost? I'd assume that a recalibration will be needed with the new windshield due to the nannies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I get taken to the cleaners.

OP
OP
RaptorFan1988

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question #1 sounds a bit odd as GEICO surely has the VIN and know exactly what vehicle they are insuring.
Agreed, but I filed the claim through the GEICO app on my phone so it's possible the app doesn't have that level of sophistication.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When filing a claim, you have the right to take the vehicle wherever you want. I'm not sure they can "make" you go to Safellite?? They should at least be fine with you paying the difference at the dealer if that is where you want is fixed with OEM glass.

Gator85

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had mine replaced by safelite in November. VIN will tell them exact windshield. I think the OEM is about $1200 give or take. The recalibration by the technician is the expensive part. Guy did a good job, but I was watching also. He laughed when I said I was riding along for the recalibration. I said NO WAY are you driving off in my truck ALONE! State Farm comprehensive with $0 deductible. No problems. If you go OEM, make sure there is a Ford logo in the top center BEFORE installation.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Safe lite is fine and will also push, and successfully, for OEM glass on a new/same model year truck. I went through 3 windshields on my Gen2s, all with Geico, zero deductible, and the recal was included. I did not pay a dime. And the windshield was heated along the bottom which is important. The Gen3 is called a Soundshield. It says it right on it. That’s what you want.

Also, don’t hold Ford’s nannies anywhere near the caliber of others, there is almost nothing for them to do. Once they replace the mirror, and the spot is marked by those black dots, it works fine. In my 3 experiences above, I never had an issue.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see how they can force you to have it replaced with a non-OEM windshield. New vehicle or not.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t see how they can force you to have it replaced with a non-OEM windshield. New vehicle or not.
simple. The insurance contract/policy says they may substitute parts of equal value/performance. If it's a few year old car, you can bet you'll get an aftermarket windshield.

That said, I've owned multiple Porsches and their glass is made in W. Germany, by supposed vaunted manufacturers, one of which is Saint Gobain, and IMHO, their glass is soft, easily scratches, pits, and sucks. So OEM is not always the best anyway.

I also mentioned above my Gen2s had the heat strip along where the wipers lay. While if you have that you want it in a replacement, I believe it caused my windshield to crack on a super cold day.

Last edited:

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to specify OEM replacement as part of your policy. It is negligibly more expensive but I want to make sure I get OEM glass on my cars.
And are you saying, and I never heard of that thus why I’m asking, that most, all, some, or the insurance company you use, offer that? I’ve only been insuring vehicles for 50 years and I’ve never been offered nor heard of that option. Not saying you are wrong, just wish to be educated.