Gen 3 Tailgate Pad for MTB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cotaco

Reaction score
Ordered the below last fall in anticipation of the Raptor getting delivered. Finally got to test fit it after picking up truck last week and overarchingly it does not let my bike "rest" low enough on the tailgate. It makes it unstable and prone to falling into other bikes (portion the bike rests on is much wider than distance between front fork and downtube). Looks like the Gen3 tailgate is just too thick and curved (phrasing)

1644440654896.png

Has anyone tried the dakine tailgate pad for the curved tailgates specifically?

NHG3

Reaction score
My ordered '22 doesn't have a VIN yet so I can't speak to the Raptor specifically...

I have a Rocky Mountain Underground on my Denali and have been very pleased with it. I'm hoping it will work with my Raptor if/when it ever shows up.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bike rides just fine on my tailgate. My sons 24” rocky mountain rides fine too, no issues. I have an evoc pad

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your bike. Specifically, it depends on the setback your downtube has from your head tube on the frame. Over my Faceface pad (same as Fox) I have a Stumpjumper Evo S-Works that sits really well and doesnt move. My Norco Range VLT on the other hand does exactly what you say. Another pad isnt going to fix the problem. Best to go with a track system in the bed. Rockymounts does one I use with the Norco. Rock solid and tailgate closes. Just.

koyojo

Reaction score
I have a very similar pad that you are looking at, it is more dependent on the bike geo than anything. Some bike fall on each other some bikes are more stable. Also, how rough the road you are driving is. Generally I have two different racks I run, if just the wife and I, I much prefer my hitch mounted one, since bikes are more secure and built in lock. (I "Accidently" jumped my last raptor with the bike on it and there was no fuss.) Shuttle days/More than 2 people, we use the tailgate pad, I usually keep a few towels and blankets in the truck just incase some of the bikes like to fall on each other, this seems to happen with every truck and pad that we have used, some are better than others but important to protect that beautiful carbon. That said, I will switch to a shuttle rack once I find one for cheap at a REI garage sale.

OP
OP
Cotaco

Cotaco

Reaction score
Depends on your bike. Specifically, it depends on the setback your downtube has from your head tube on the frame. Over my Faceface pad (same as Fox) I have a Stumpjumper Evo S-Works that sits really well and doesnt move. My Norco Range VLT on the other hand does exactly what you say. Another pad isnt going to fix the problem. Best to go with a track system in the bed. Rockymounts does one I use with the Norco. Rock solid and tailgate closes. Just.
I feel like a thinner pad might lessen the impact. The Fox overland pad i have has 1-1.5" thick pads on TOP of the "base" layer. Probably 3-4" thick on the exterior side of the tailgate alone. Luckily i can return the pad and try out the dakine from REI

the other option is just throwing my bike away i guess
new whip.jpg
thanks for weighing in though! love the username

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like a thinner pad might lessen the impact. The Fox overland pad i have has 1-1.5" thick pads on TOP of the "base" layer. Probably 3-4" thick on the exterior side of the tailgate alone. Luckily i can return the pad and try out the dakine from REI

the other option is just throwing my bike away i guess
View attachment 341594
thanks for weighing in though! love the username
Right on! Just put a shuttle guard on your DT and you are good. But your buds might not like the thin pad. ;-)

Nice ride. Right back at ya.

p5pb20021233.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free