Gen 3 self driving hacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I was told if the vehicle hugs one way, they can re-align the cameras a bit to fix this. After accidents they have to do this.
Forscan to the rescue? One can hope. It would be nice if you could set your own preference on what you consider the middle of the lane.

gwdlaw

Reaction score
There is a Youtube video out there of a guy who had a velcro ankle weight attached to the steering wheel. I believe it was a 2-3 pound weight. Anyway, he activates adaptive cruise with lane centering and the truck completely drives itself without the "keep hands on the wheel" warning. Anyway, not saying i have done this for hours on end while driving all over texas and oklahoma and that you can buy a compatable ankle weight at any Academy Sports location, but maybe a "hack" you want to check out.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a 2,000 mile road trip last week so I thought I would try those features out. If the lane markers are faint at all, it fails and goes all over the place. On a two-lane road that had a left turn bump out introduced in the middle, the system got confused and followed the left turn lines. I did not find out what happens next as I steered it back myself to get it on track. Overall pretty rudimentary and you cannot use it as an autopilot type thing. I only use it when I am eating food for just a little added assist in keeping the rig straight.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall though, it's heads and shoulders above the unusable setup in the Gen 2.

Agreed. This amount of autonomous vehicle assist aid is the most that I am comfortable with, and the most that I would ever use.

Anything higher than this, in terms of "self-driving" is a no go for me.

Fords lane centering, lane keeping and adaptive cruise control, when all three are working together, works like a charm