Gen 3 self driving hacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I finally tried out the cruise control with lane assist turned on for a good bit on a less crowded toll road today. I found that it works great if you keep your left hand on the wheel and apply slight pressure to steer toward the left. The nanny that tells you to put your hands on the wheel didn't come on and it's fairly comfortable.

One thing I don't like, though keeping a little left pressure on the wheel helps, is the way it seems to want to steer slightly right toward cars that I am passing. Not out of the lane but seems like it's hugging the white stripes more than I like on the passenger side when passing. No idea what that's about. Maybe it's my natural tendency to give a wide berth to cars i am passing and it just feels weird.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Overall though, it's heads and shoulders above the unusable setup in the Gen 2.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally tried out the cruise control with lane assist turned on for a good bit on a less crowded toll road today. I found that it works great if you keep your left hand on the wheel and apply slight pressure to steer toward the left. The nanny that tells you to put your hands on the wheel didn't come on and it's fairly comfortable.

Can you do this with the right hand instead of left? Some people, not me, prefer to reserve the left hand for ....other tasks.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score

One thing I don't like, though keeping a little left pressure on the wheel helps, is the way it seems to want to steer slightly right toward cars that I am passing. Not out of the lane but seems like it's hugging the white stripes more than I like on the passenger side when passing. No idea what that's about. Maybe it's my natural tendency to give a wide berth to cars i am passing and it just feels weird.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Overall though, it's heads and shoulders above the unusable setup in the Gen 2.
My truck favors the right line as well.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you do this with the right hand instead of left? Some people, not me, prefer to reserve the left hand for ....other tasks.
Not sure. Nothing wrong with a little strange now and then though. Keep it interesting.
Some habits are hard to break, and you want to stick with what's reliable and gets the job done.

I think this is a new record. Into the ditch by the second post. Well done, guys.