Gen 3 Raptor Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also appreciate the endorsement going from Range to Raptor. I think it will be a good transition too. My only concern is Highway comfort. My Range eats up those miles so so well. Ford let me drive a gen 2 in a parking lot once.
The Raptor is a great highway/long trip vehicle. My wife and I have taken mine on a 1200 mile (each way) trip with two passengers in the back, luggage in the tonneau covered bed and I couldn’t ask for anything better. Was cruising at 90mph for a good chunk of the trip. If you want faster then that for a cruising speed then a German SUV may fit the need better, but that’s it.
My wife has a 21 BMW X5 M50i, a grocery getter with 523hp that runs low 12’s, costs $90k, but doesn’t even enter my mind when considering what I’d rather drive on a highway trip since I have the second Gen Raptor.
The Gen 3 will no doubt be even better in terms of ride comfort, and the updated interior.

RaptorMan703

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and information. Makes sense re: chip shortage and general sale vs. press launches. Also appreciate the endorsement going from Range to Raptor. I think it will be a good transition too. My only concern is Highway comfort. My Range eats up those miles so so well. Ford let me drive a gen 2 in a parking lot once. They wouldn’t let me go any further, which is another topic for another day but I’m still curious.

I owned a 2020 L405 and a 2020 Gen 2 and must say the Raptor was a better straight line cruiser. The Range won out in cabin feel with the double thick windows and soft touch materials but the Raptor isn’t called the redneck Cadillac for nothing—it wasn’t far behind. Only complaint on the Raptor was rear end skittishness in the curves and its overall size when transiting the Tri-state area for trips—especially in the highway construction zones, felt like I took up the entire lane.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I owned a 2020 L405 and a 2020 Gen 2 and must say the Raptor was a better straight line cruiser. The Range won out in cabin feel with the double thick windows and soft touch materials but the Raptor isn’t called the redneck Cadillac for nothing—it wasn’t far behind. Only complaint on the Raptor was rear end skittishness in the curves and its overall size when transiting the Tri-state area for trips—especially in the highway construction zones, felt like I took up the entire lane.
I take long trips to Baja and have been doing so for 10 years and now 210k miles in an 08 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I'm upgrading to a Gen 3 for this purpose and can't wait to get mine but the size of this vehicle just scares the crap out of me. My JKU is a 08 it measures 180" in length. I also live in a tight city type area by the beach and parking sucks. Is it really this bad lol ?

RaptorMan703

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take long trips to Baja and have been doing so for 10 years and now 210k miles in an 08 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I'm upgrading to a Gen 3 for this purpose and can't wait to get mine but the size of this vehicle just scares the crap out of me. My JKU is a 08 it measures 180" in length. I also live in a tight city type area by the beach and parking sucks. Is it really this bad lol ?

It certainly requires you to pay more attention when driving around. As for parking I’ve been in lots where even perfectly centered between lines there’s comically little room to egress. This is usually urban areas where they try to cram as many parking spots as possible.

I think I’ve parallel parked my gen 2 only two or three times. It’s not fun and where I’m at you take up every inch between the white lines.

I’m just happy mine fits in my garage

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's going to feel like you're moving from a go kart to a full sized truck. It will take some time to get used to.

When I moved from a regular F150 to a Raptor, the extra width was very noticeable.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It certainly requires you to pay more attention when driving around. As for parking I’ve been in lots where even perfectly centered between lines there’s comically little room to egress. This is usually urban areas where they try to cram as many parking spots as possible.

I think I’ve parallel parked my gen 2 only two or three times. It’s not fun and where I’m at you take up every inch between the white lines.

I’m just happy mine fits in my garage
Ughhh great. No driveway or garage spot here. Just street parking and parallel is a must lol Well this should get interesting. Maybe I won't sell my jeep right away.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about swapping my current ride (L405 Range Rover) for a gen 3 raptor when the dust settles (i.e. no dealer markups, non-sellers market, etc.). Been lurking for a while and love what Ford did with gen 2’s.
Yesterday I had a long driving day - for a lot of that I was dueling through the mountains on a fast highway with an L405. We weren't maxing out either vehicle, but we were both driving briskly. He had an edge in the tighter corners, and I clearly had a comfort edge on the rougher and undulating sections.

I'm always (as in every single time) impressed by the effortless miles I can rack up on my '19. Tonneau cover, space in the cab, all the family crap - and go. I need to upgrade my rear springs for full overland load outs with RTT, water, gear, but with family of 4 and all the bags/gear for a family vacation, not needed. It will still be better with springs/Fox 3's, but even OEM, it just rips along.

You'll notice the width and length in tight spots/parkades, etc. But balance that with no comparison offroad.

I think there is enough similarity between the gen 2's and 3's there isn't much risk in going off gen 2 reviews to make your decision.

1628443638539.png

jjm047

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a long driving day - for a lot of that I was dueling through the mountains on a fast highway with an L405. We weren't maxing out either vehicle, but we were both driving briskly. He had an edge in the tighter corners, and I clearly had a comfort edge on the rougher and undulating sections.

I'm always (as in every single time) impressed by the effortless miles I can rack up on my '19. Tonneau cover, space in the cab, all the family crap - and go. I need to upgrade my rear springs for full overland load outs with RTT, water, gear, but with family of 4 and all the bags/gear for a family vacation, not needed. It will still be better with springs/Fox 3's, but even OEM, it just rips along.

You'll notice the width and length in tight spots/parkades, etc. But balance that with no comparison offroad.

I think there is enough similarity between the gen 2's and 3's there isn't much risk in going off gen 2 reviews to make your decision.

View attachment 315270
Pic looks awesome. Off topic but did you put a ceramic coat on it?