Gen 3 Raptor Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’m thinking about swapping my current ride (L405 Range Rover) for a gen 3 raptor when the dust settles (i.e. no dealer markups, non-sellers market, etc.). Been lurking for a while and love what Ford did with gen 2’s.

Having said that, does anyone know when gen 3 reviews might come out? Seeing dealers with actual trucks for sale leads me to believe there’s no embargo. Just not any press vehicles to provide to journalists? I’m surprised there’s nothing popping up yet with real world reviews from R&T, fast lane truck, smoking tire, Doug Demuro, etc.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no correlation to a media embargo and vehicles for sale. This is a unique situation (chip shortage) where Ford is scrambling to produce the 2021 gen3 as they said they would several months ago. I think media reviews will take place but not until fall. Just get one if you can. I am sure all 2021 allocations are all gone. Btw … I think the raptor is a very capable vehicle and it will def be a step up from your Range Rover.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and information. Makes sense re: chip shortage and general sale vs. press launches. Also appreciate the endorsement going from Range to Raptor. I think it will be a good transition too. My only concern is Highway comfort. My Range eats up those miles so so well. Ford let me drive a gen 2 in a parking lot once. They wouldn’t let me go any further, which is another topic for another day but I’m still curious.

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll HOPEFULLY be picking my Raptor up 4 hours away in a couple weeks, fingers crossed . If/when that happens, I'll give you a highway review. It should feel a bit different than the leaf spring Gen2 thats for sure...

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and information. Makes sense re: chip shortage and general sale vs. press launches. Also appreciate the endorsement going from Range to Raptor. I think it will be a good transition too. My only concern is Highway comfort. My Range eats up those miles so so well. Ford let me drive a gen 2 in a parking lot once. They wouldn’t let me go any further, which is another topic for another day but I’m still curious.
You will not be disappointed with highway comfort. It is rare for anyone to say that the raptor has bad on road manners. And There is room 5 grown adults and get a bed cover and all your luggage can fit in the bed easily.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will not be disappointed with highway comfort. It rare for anyone to say that the raptor has bad on road manners. And There is room 5 grown adults and get a bed cover and all your luggage can fit in the bed easily.
OP- do your research regarding payload. The above situation will exceed the payload rating of a Raptor easily. Just 5 adults is pushing it, let alone any luggage. If you think you are going to hook up a trailer with a SxS as well as have a load of people and a full bed- you need a different truck to do it legally. Don't be one of those guys coming on here and whining about payload ratings.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1400 pound payload gives you an average of 280 pounds per passenger. Unless you are part of an NFL defensive line, I think 5 people and a reasonable amount of luggage can go in a Raptor just fine. If not, I think your family might need to go on a diet and exercise regimen ASAP.

That said, Raptors are not the best trucks for family 'expeditions' wherein you haul a trailer with a couple of ATVs out to a recreational area and rent a cabin for a week if you have a bunch of kids and a wife that overpacks like she is going to the summit of Everest for a long weekend. Tongue weight of that trailer will take a good bite out of your payload.