Gen 3 Raptor is Overpriced, you are all Insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the clickbait thread title. But hear me out....

Been knocking around the idea of getting a truck for some time now and could really do with something midsized but hate, hate, hate all the offerings there. Tacoma is from the Paleolithic era and underpowered, Ranger is 4-cylinder only and a decade old itself. Nissan, LoL. You get the idea. Which brings me to larger trucks, specifically in the F-150, Silverado, Ram 1500 category as I have no need for a heavy duty truck. Not that need dictates all of my buying decisions but there is no way I would enjoy putting up with all the compromises of and HD truck if I didn't need the capability it brings. So Raptors....

I've like it ever since it broke new ground back in 2010 but the 2nd Gen left me a bit cold. It was the turbo 6 powerplant. Can't get past it. This is not a debate on the merits of exhaust note or cylinder count, enough keystrokes have been expended there for sure.

In unrelated (but related) news, this week I had my name added to a dealer's Corvette Z06 list. I'm not going to get one of the 'first' cars and that is fine. What I am going to get is an MSRP deal, expected by the dealer, myself and most educated Corvette folks to be $89,990 for openers. I don't need to bore you with details but 5.5L naturally aspirated V8 that raves to 8600 rpm and all that. It is going to be my personal, final love letter to petrol before it is all over. A 'forever' car if you will, built to my spec (which will light on options, no crazy aero, carbon brakes or carbon wheels). The only way it could be better (aside from maybe being not so ugly) would be if it had a manual transmission. That's why there does exist the small chance I could jump ship to a Porsche Coxster GTS 4.0 with a manual. But the way Porsche dealers tend to play games with allocations, and price their cars, that is a slim possibility at best.

Anyway, this got me thinking about writing a check for $90K, what value for money it provides and whatnot. That got me thinking about the MSRPs I'm seeing for these Raptors (never mind those foolish enough to be paying ADM, LoL) of $80-83K.
Viewed through the lens of "COVID disruptions, chip shortages, free Biden bucks for my kids, etc" I'm sure you guys are justifying it to yourselves just fine. After all, look at the market. But when I think of what the C8 Z06 is, as an engineering feat, with its mid-engined architecture, DCT trans, removable roof, the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 in history, etc, I can't help but kind of laugh at Raptor prices. At best, it's a breathed-on F-150 with a bespoke suspension, some frame bits and a tarted up 3.5. Please don't reply here and try to explain how it is 'basically' the engine from the Ford GT either. Because it's not. It is just terrible value for money in my opinion.

I understand that Z06s will doubtless run up to $140K with all the goodies (where, if you can get past the looks and brand image, it still is likely to represent good value). I also understand that I am getting a bit of in 'insider' deal at MSRP when some dealers have opened their lists at $50,000 over. I also understand that the Z06 is not a truck. I'm just trying to see what you guys think about the value for money a Raptor represents at $80,000+. It is based on the perennial best-selling vehicle in the U.S. with the ability to spread costs over hundreds of thousands of units after all. Anyone have thoughts to contribute beyond "Oh, you don't have a Raptor, ****"?

TL;DR: Raptors are a ripoff and I am going to buy a Corvette instead.
Remember, the new raptor is based on the newly updated F150 and it actually has real r&r innovations vice tarted up parts. Coil springs vice leafs on the f150 are an obvious example. Live Fox shocks etc and the 37” wheels and chassis to accept a full spare.
Raptors do hold their value. In these current times, getting one for msrp is going to be a fantastic deal. They are rugged and will do the dirty work and get you to Starbucks and back, whatever your preference. Wish they tweaked the engine beyond giving the power at a lower rpm but c’est la vie.
i do love the C8 and you are actually talking about two vehicles that will hold their value. Like the GM at my dealership says, Raptor hold their value cause they usually sell at a premium so that is baked in the resell.

tabvette

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stated multiple times that I knew precisely what sort of response the mouth breathers would give. Everyone can please stop educating me on the internet and/or worrying about my psyche based on whatever vitriol comes my way. Life experiences have rendered me rather nonplussed by keyboard warriors.
Seems like you are just trying to Troll people and start an internet fight. Maybe you should sign off this Forum and go to the Corvette forums. We like the Raptor here. Not that hard to understand.

Goode22

Reaction score
I need a truck, I need to pull things. Sure there may be better values in truck for that but they are not as cool. I realize you picked a CV strictly on Value. They say people who drives those cars are trying to make up for short comings somewhere else.

Token

Reaction score
This has got to be the most pretentious sounding post I’ve ever read on this forum in 4 years. Congratulations. Please proofread before you post with “mouth-breather” expectations of poor grammar and punctuation.

To your point: People are going to view the value of that $80k+ differently based on their use. For me, $100k+ for a 2 seater at this point in my life is incomprehensible. 31, 2 kids, government salary. However, I can justify a Raptor because of its practicality and the amount of boxes it checks. It’s a great family ride and does everything (except a 1.1g skid pad) that I would like it to do. Completely subjective, but I don’t think there’s a vehicle out there that competes with the raptor as far as a “swiss army knife” of vehicles when you factor in capabilities, MPGs, resale, etc.

If you look at it in terms of physical, tangible amount of vehicle you’re getting for the money, the raptor makes a pretty good value. The tech, space, size, suspension, autonomous capabilities, power figures, etc. really make the raptor a much less compromised vehicle than a lot (in my opinion all) of vehicles. And if you’re so apt to keep a vehicle pretty stripped out, getting an 800a raptor at $66-67k is probably the best deal in the truck market right now unless you need to tow a ton (or tonne as you’d put it, typing with your pinky out).

If you’re truly shopping for a truck and not just jumping on forums to flex your thesaurus thumbing skills and reliving your high SAT scoring days of yore, maybe check out the TRD Pro Tundra that’s coming soon. I don’t think it’s a better value for money but it might not make you so mad when you look at the sticker price; assuming it’ll be ~60k. I also don’t think you’ll find less “mouth breather” comments on the TRD forums but I do know that despite their copious amount of satire and ribbing, the raptor community is the best out there, hands down. That’s a non-tangible you can add to your list of value:dollar.

Good luck to you on your Z, and to your patience on this forum.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JerseyMike brings up some good points on the packages and pricing. I certainly agree that at $65,000, the Raptor makes a lot more sense than at $80,000.
My Gen 3 801A was $68k so there’s that. I like the Vette though. Just no garage space for another toy. Raptor sleeps outside like all the other ones have.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you pay does not constitute your cost of ownership. I drove my 2019 Raptor for 2.5 years and 36000 miles and never spent a dollar on it. Free maintenance and the tires made it to 36000 miles. I just traded it in mid July for $1500 less then I paid! $1500 over 2.5 years equals $600 a year to drive a $70,000 truck. They hold their value like no other truck. A Z06 is a straight toy a Raptor is a toy that can haul, tow, carry passengers and be driven year round in total comfort.

Reaction score
There are a (precious) few intelligent folks here and I was hoping some of them respond. I'm well aware that this is not typical fare for this forum, as this entire site tends to skew very 'fanboi' if you will. Not sure we need another "Just Got Her Home" thread with 17 pictures of a new Raptor in gray or a scintillating debate on which brotastic wheels look best when paired with the gaudy graphics package.

Heaven forbid we talk about something a bit philosophical here.
Wow. What a presumptuous ***hat. You sound a little jealous of what others have. This is a Raptor forum *******.

Status
Not open for further replies.