Gen 3 Powertech Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never accidentally open my tailgate on my Raptor or my wife's 2018 Lariat. BTW, I always protect my key fob with a silicone cover. This silicone adds an extra layer so you have to deliberately push the buttons to make them work. So accidentally tapping the tailgate twice by accident is impossible.

1626976368627.png

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never accidentally open my tailgate on my Raptor or my wife's 2018 Lariat. BTW, I always protect my key fob with a silicone cover. This silicone adds an extra layer so you have to deliberately push the buttons to make them work. So accidentally tapping the tailgate twice by accident is impossible.

View attachment 313730
seems like a decent wrap for the fob... brand?

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But then you loose all the cool Raptor branding??
I went with the powertech just because we do a lot of tubing down the river and camping so it will be nice to have the extra outlets +juice in the bed. Not to mention I don't have a generator at my house and we loose power often enough I can plug in my fridge or tv or whatever in case we need it.
Having the power tailgate is pretty neat trick

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not go with the Powertech package, but I debated it for the tailgate step. I have the tailgate step now and use it all the time, but I'm still in my early 30's and am able to jump up there when needed if I don't have the step.

I found it annoying that the only way to get the tailgate step is to get the whole Powertech package for these reasons:
  • I don't have bed outlets now so I don't see myself needing or wanting them at any time
  • I don't want to drive around with a second alternator I'll probably never use
  • Power closing tailgate would be cool, but I plan on installing a hard tonneau cover on my truck. On my current one, it does bind ever so slightly with the tailgate so I can see this potentially causing problems trying to use the power closing feature...i'd be angry if I paid for that feature and it didn't work because I put a hard tonneau cover on

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did not go with the Powertech package, but I debated it for the tailgate step. I have the tailgate step now and use it all the time, but I'm still in my early 30's and am able to jump up there when needed if I don't have the step.

I found it annoying that the only way to get the tailgate step is to get the whole Powertech package for these reasons:
  • I don't have bed outlets now so I don't see myself needing or wanting them at any time
  • I don't want to drive around with a second alternator I'll probably never use
  • Power closing tailgate would be cool, but I plan on installing a hard tonneau cover on my truck. On my current one, it does bind ever so slightly with the tailgate so I can see this potentially causing problems trying to use the power closing feature...i'd be angry if I paid for that feature and it didn't work because I put a hard tonneau cover on
To your 3rd point, wouldn’t it be just a matter of adjusting your tonneau cover to ensure the tailgate closes properly?

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To your 3rd point, wouldn’t it be just a matter of adjusting your tonneau cover to ensure the tailgate closes properly?
Yes, and I've tried...but it's almost like it's by design to keep rain water out. I decided in my head that dealing with this slight annoyance was less annoying than looking at a gap between the tailgate and cover. Works for me :)

On the plus side, this has stopped my tailgate from hitting my garage door on one occasion when I accidentally tried to open the tailgate with the remote.