Gen 3 Overlanding with Truck Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munch520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this for a few hundred LBs of static weight, seems like foutz rear spacer lift is the easy way to get rake back.

At some point probably will do Geisers all around.

For serious towing or bed-camper I'd get a different truck lol but in all seriousness probably rear springs + airbags. Airlift is supposedly coming out with something soon for Raptors/offroad specific use.

OP
OP
MrHomeGuy

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
yea big diff. I know I dont carry a lot of weight. maybe 200-300 lbs 400 max tools mostly but camping I am a minimalist. the less the better. the switch to coils it sags so much more. better ride but more sag for sure.
The Scouts is 1,200 pounds. Removing the tail gate adds back 120 pound to the payload. I have been riding on the bags with no load for 2,500 miles and no issues. Planning on putting the camper on in April.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
MrHomeGuy

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
I've been looking at this for a few hundred LBs of static weight, seems like foutz rear spacer lift is the easy way to get rake back.

At some point probably will do Geisers all around.

For serious towing or bed-camper I'd get a different truck lol but in all seriousness probably rear springs + airbags. Airlift is supposedly coming out with something soon for Raptors/offroad specific use.
I spoke with Airlift and they say they are planning on an air bag system but not yet so I am trining these dodge coil airbags as an immediate solution. This summer we only run about 200 miles round trip

Last March, I used my Gen 2 to pick up the camper and made it back 3,00 miles from Oregon, I then added a leaf spring that stiffened up the ride a bit but handled the load with no squat.

Long term, I think a bellow air bag is a better solution and balance between comfort, stock ride and utility use. I think the Geisers are pricey for me as I don't hold the truck long enough.

OP
OP
MrHomeGuy

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
Following this thread closely. Please post pics of your set up. I have a 22 Code Orange Raptor and I tow a 26 foot center console boat and I measured my springs and I was going to order the airbags but noticed they had the black hd version but only thing that kept popping up was for Dodge Rams. I hope this helps me because I hate the sag….
My buddy has a new Dodge Ram and we compared measurements and concluded the HD Dodge airbags fit. I have 2500 miles on the so far running 40 pounds when empty. Will test camper in April. This was a low cost solution and I skipped the air compressor for now.

My understanding is when aired up to max 80 pounds, that bag will stiffen up and keep the coil from squatting.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
MrHomeGuy

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
Nice, and atlas blue too! What do you plan on doing for the gen 3?

I’m building something similar, currently running a RSI smartcap +GFC RTT (not pictured yet) and a master slide bed tray. Some of these items to be installed in the next couple of weeks. Also for suspension going with RPG Perch collars for front (1.25”?) and rear (2.25”) - also full RPG tie rods with boots. Will be adding eibach rear springs when they come to market in the near future for travel in the rear.

I just put 37” K02’s on new Fifteen52 Range HD’s in Magnesium. Will be posting more details on it as things progress.
Nice looking truck, Mine had the tail gate appliqué delete, no spay in linear and no decals. I will run it pretty stock accept for suspension upgrade for my camper

OP
OP
MrHomeGuy

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
I’m interested in this as well for towing my 3500 lb trailer. So far, my favorite option looks like the timbrens that I’ll remove when not towing - looks like a one bolt solution…
I had the timbered on my Gen 2 and when under load, the truck is riding hard on the axle - zero suspension. Also, I think the Gen 3 stock numbers as bigger the the Gen 2, so I don't think it will help. The Dodge HD coil Airbag cost less the the Timbren. Spring shop charged me two hours labor and did a good job.

cscape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Scouts is 1,200 pounds. Removing the tail gate adds back 120 pound to the payload. I have been riding on the bags with no load for 2,500 miles and no issues. Planning on putting the camper on in April.
Nice, can you share part numbers or details on installation specifics? Would be interested in this just for leveling purposes when sleeping.

OP
OP
MrHomeGuy

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
My buddy has a new Dodge Ram and we compared measurements and concluded the HD Dodge airbags fit. I have 2500 miles on the so far running 40 pounds when empty. Will test camper in April. This was a low cost solution and I skipped the air compressor for now.

My understanding is when aired up to max 80 pounds, that bag will stiffen up and keep the coil from squatting.
Just loaded the camper with the new dodge coil airbags. Airbags not under load at 20 pounds then aired up to 75 pound and after loading tested at 60 PSI.

Now the numbers - measurements from ground to fender:
42.75 inch with no load at 20 PSI
44.25 inch at 75 PSI no load
42.0 inch at 60 PSI with load

Test drive limited to 100 miles but suspension seems good and handles well.Truck is fairly level with no squat . See photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_1538-1.jpeg
    IMG_1538-1.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1537.jpeg
    IMG_1537.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1536-1.jpeg
    IMG_1536-1.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1535-1.jpeg
    IMG_1535-1.jpeg