Gen 3 in Baja

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Add extra cleats, or just have the cleats pre-installed? I was considering not having the cleats pre-installed since it might look cleaner than having them on. I was going the SE route since it was cheaper. The $2400 price tag of the HD and I was almost at the same amount of money as buying a cap.

Would love to hear more comments on my though process. It could be completely backwards. I definitely wasn't going to get the diamond texture either way.
This may help. I did mine after I had it. Much cleaner if you get it done by them.

Thread 'Diamondback Bed Cover & CargoGlide- Detailed Review'
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/diamondback-bed-cover-cargoglide-detailed-review.90935/

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You haven't REALLY experienced Baja until you've purchased gas in a jug and filtered it through a t-shirt. Or traded steekers for a bacon wrapped hotdog. Or invited 30 other racers to sleep on your hotel room floor. Or did a transmission swap in the parking lot of the best hotel in town.

Attachments

• IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 6

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best years were definitely back when the "ReFi Racers" and the factory teams were spending cubic dollars on their programs. I was able to get a few heli rides during the races; it's awesome watching a Trophy Truck hammer through the course, running through or knocking down everything in their path.

Attachments

• 20221029_172059.jpg
    20221029_172059.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221029_172123.jpg
    20221029_172123.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had debated going with a cap versus a tonneau cover having had a truck with a cap previously and remembered how the cover limited hauling some things without having to pull off the entire cap. The DiamondBack allowed me to put things on top of it or if necessary, pull one or both of the panels. I also liked the look of a tonneau cover on the Raptor. So in my case both form and function lead me to the DiamondBack.

As for the cleats. Given the look of the Raptor, I don’t think that having cleats (either the four that come on the SE or the 12 on the HD) on the DiamondBack takes away from the look of truck but that’s a personal opinion. My thought process with the cleats was that if/when hauling something on top of the DiamondBack, having multiple options for tie down points was important and better to have and not need then the opposite. When I mentioned adding cleats, I was suggesting that DiamondBack do the add when they do the build of your tonneau. Here’s what the HD in the diamond texture and cleats looks like on my Raptor.

View attachment 377865

Whatever you decide to do, if you order from DiamondBack, you’ll be happy. They aren’t cheap but neither was the Raptor.
Thanks for the input. I got my bed and wheel wells done in Line-X. Did you ever consider getting the Diamond Back done with a coat of line-x so it stays dark black for the entire life of the truck?

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The covers have a coating similar to LineX (which I also had done in the bed of my truck) and the coating has a three year warranty unlike the rest of the cover which has a lifetime warranty. Having compared the coating on the DiamondBack to the one on the bed, they appear very similar. It cleans well with soap and water (we had just had a dirty rain shower move through earlier in the day I took the picture of the cover) and appears to be very durable (like the LineX bed coating).

Even with the shorter warranty, I expect it to remain close to the original color for a long time. Since my truck and cover are fairly new, others may be able to speak with more authority about the long term durability and color retention of the material that DiamondBack puts on the cover. However, from what I’ve seen of these covers out in the world on work trucks and Starbucks parking lots (forum humor there :D ), they look to be very durable long term.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The covers have a coating similar to LineX (which I also had done in the bed of my truck) and the coating has a three year warranty unlike the rest of the cover which has a lifetime warranty. Having compared the coating on the DiamondBack to the one on the bed, they appear very similar. It cleans well with soap and water (we had just had a dirty rain shower move through earlier in the day I took the picture of the cover) and appears to be very durable (like the LineX bed coating).

Even with the shorter warranty, I expect it to remain close to the original color for a long time. Since my truck and cover are fairly new, others may be able to speak with more authority about the long term durability and color retention of the material that DiamondBack puts on the cover. However, from what I’ve seen of these covers out in the world on work trucks and Starbucks parking lots (forum humor there :D ), they look to be very durable long term.
I figure the best time to get it done is when it was brand new. Im really glad I got the rear wheel wells done in black too. I like the look and the protection. I've considered getting the steps done next also if I get the diamond back. I have an extra strike against me with the salt water and sun at the beach.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure the best time to get it done is when it was brand new. Im really glad I got the rear wheel wells done in black too. I like the look and the protection. I've considered getting the steps done next also if I get the diamond back. I have an extra strike against me with the salt water and sun at the beach.
I went with the Husky wheel well liners but either way is a good idea. Salt and sun aren’t our truck’s fiends. Where I’m at, I only get the salt during the winter along with the snow and ice. Since the Raptor won’t fit in the garage, it’s going to spend a lot of winter underground in an old limestone quarry. Only coming out of hibernation if we have a long trip.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me ask....

Is this just open? Where anyone can just jump on and ride these things? Cartel issues? What rules are there in Cali that state I cannot carry on those lands for protection?

Consider driving across country to give these things a try.

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve flown Baja Cabo to SD more times than I can count(for work) but always wanted to drive my Raptor there.
For now, driving 50 or 60 miles down the TX coast will have to do…:)

16-B4443-F-28-F3-4-EA8-B366-16966-CF54013.jpg

F05-C578-B-4-A63-4791-A3-B8-952-D940-B0-B89.jpg
V/R
Smokey

Last edited: