Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwickd

Reaction score
After seeing and driving the new Gen 3's, it's obvious that they are a totally different breed. Ride quality is amazing, the new technology is great but we are seeing a few issues. I will update what the actual cause of the issue is and then what the fix was, once we are updated.

-Electronics issue when going through water:
On a most recent trail run, all 3 of the Gen 3's had the same issue. After moderate water crossings, they all 3 lost their driver mode functions and 4 wheel drive. 2 of the trucks completely shut down and would not crank over to start back up. We disconnected batteries for 30 minutes and a few other things. We were able to get the trucks started but driver modes were no longer available along with the loss of 4x4. it sounds like wiring harness plugs getting loaded with water, but we couldn't find any that would have been compromised.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After seeing and driving the new Gen 3's, it's obvious that they are a totally different breed. Ride quality is amazing, the new technology is great but we are seeing a few issues. I will update what the actual cause of the issue is and then what the fix was, once we are updated.

-Electronics issue when going through water:
On a most recent trail run, all 3 of the Gen 3's had the same issue. After moderate water crossings, they all 3 lost their driver mode functions and 4 wheel drive. 2 of the trucks completely shut down and would not crank over to start back up. We disconnected batteries for 30 minutes and a few other things. We were able to get the trucks started but driver modes were no longer available along with the loss of 4x4. it sounds like wiring harness plugs getting loaded with water, but we couldn't find any that would have been compromised.
Interesting. I'm expecting that they will figure it out and fix it before I buy mine. Thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
all 3 of the Gen 3's had the same issue. After moderate water crossings, they all 3 lost their driver mode functions and 4 wheel drive
That’s quite concerning, can you elaborate and clarify?

In a loss of drive mode situation, you may not have sport, baja, weather, starbucks, but the transfer case operates independently. You would still have normal eco mode and should still be able to select 4a, 4H and 4L.
on a Jen Too, I believe if you disconnected the IWE vacuum hose, hubs would “fail over” to locked, so 4a should be selectable and work. If you work the front too hard, the truck will lock you in 4h. No vote.

However, IWE was redesigned for Jen Tres, and I’m not sure you could do this.
Honestly, as much as I like the Rap, electronics gremlins are the absolute worst. Off road your 90k dollar uber truck and get disabled by a stream crossing that a 1500 dollar jeep can navigate successfully...

Not a good look.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any of these issues with daily time on rough dirt roads and occasional 18-20" water crossings. Finger's crossed but seems fishy they'd all exhibit all of the same problems at the same time with an "undiagnosed" issue 3 years into production.

OP
OP
cwickd

cwickd

Reaction score
We were crossing streams and large puddles with the vehicles submerged up just over the front bumper. Our longest water crossing was probable 50 yards +/-

OP
OP
cwickd

cwickd

Reaction score
The loss of driver modes happened after we would stop for a break and then start going again. None of them were immediate or during the crossing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free