Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing and driving the new Gen 3's, it's obvious that they are a totally different breed. Ride quality is amazing, the new technology is great but we are seeing a few issues. I will update what the actual cause of the issue is and then what the fix was, once we are updated.

-Electronics issue when going through water:
On a most recent trail run, all 3 of the Gen 3's had the same issue. After moderate water crossings, they all 3 lost their driver mode functions and 4 wheel drive. 2 of the trucks completely shut down and would not crank over to start back up. We disconnected batteries for 30 minutes and a few other things. We were able to get the trucks started but driver modes were no longer available along with the loss of 4x4. it sounds like wiring harness plugs getting loaded with water, but we couldn't find any that would have been compromised.
I have noticed every so often (rarely) that on start up driver modes may be disabled / unable to be selected. Normally shutting off and restarting will engage the modes. I assume this is a fault at startup where a program is not loaded properly and therefor needs a reboot to function, however I doubt this is tied to the fail you are witnessing.

G3Rap

Reaction score
I have noticed every so often (rarely) that on start up driver modes may be disabled / unable to be selected. Normally shutting off and restarting will engage the modes. I assume this is a fault at startup where a program is not loaded properly and therefor needs a reboot to function, however I doubt this is tied to the fail you are witnessing.
This is a good thing to take note of though and also very odd. I wonder if others are experiencing this issue?

Maybe this is the stuck actuator someone else mentioned?

How many miles on your truck? What year Gen 3 is truck?

Last edited:

Okegg0

Reaction score
I'm going to let the dealer play with it first since it's under warranty. I've got a great relationship with them, and they know I don't just want it fixed, I want to know what it was and how it was fixed, so if needed & possible, I can address it on a run should it happen again or come up with a way to prevent it from happening again, like adding dielectric grease to connections.
Following this, I just had this problem last week in a snow storm and driving through deep snow, got to destination no lights, got back in after and dash is lit up and cant change any of the drive modes. Mine doesnt go in until the 16th so curious to see what this is

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My drive mode not available, was a broken wire to a shock . I guess I went over a curb too fast ..

G3Rap

Reaction score
Following this, I just had this problem last week in a snow storm and driving through deep snow, got to destination no lights, got back in after and dash is lit up and cant change any of the drive modes. Mine doesnt go in until the 16th so curious to see what this is
Sorry to keep hammering this but just for additional context so everyone can follow: can you post mileage and what year gen 3 you have/are experiencing this issue with?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Sorry to keep hammering this but just for additional context so everyone can follow: can you post mileage and what year gen 3 you have/are experiencing this issue with?

if it’s really common, you guys should break out a unique, Jen Tres thread along the lines of

“Drive modes unavailable” and try to get some more data on the symptoms and resolutions. This might make it easier for subsequent owners to id the problem, possible solutions.

4DPWR

Reaction score
I had a similar issue driving home in the snow, all modes shut down and I could only use 2 wheel drive. I couldn't even make it up my driveway. I can honestly say this might be the most expensive POS I've purchased. Heading to the dealer later to trade her in.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Can a faulty ABS sensor cause the same issues because I seem to remember when people with Gen2 had hit their ABS sensor it caused similar problems.

Don't think water fording would cause a ABS sensor issue but don't know if it's possible to have water ingress.

Just guessing.

It sounds like a common issue.

Last edited: