Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flipgnats

Reaction score
After seeing and driving the new Gen 3's, it's obvious that they are a totally different breed. Ride quality is amazing, the new technology is great but we are seeing a few issues. I will update what the actual cause of the issue is and then what the fix was, once we are updated.

-Electronics issue when going through water:
On a most recent trail run, all 3 of the Gen 3's had the same issue. After moderate water crossings, they all 3 lost their driver mode functions and 4 wheel drive. 2 of the trucks completely shut down and would not crank over to start back up. We disconnected batteries for 30 minutes and a few other things. We were able to get the trucks started but driver modes were no longer available along with the loss of 4x4. it sounds like wiring harness plugs getting loaded with water, but we couldn't find any that would have been compromised.
Have you found the issue with yours yet? is it by chance the actuator? Mine is a '21 as well, 20k miles and i tested my 4wd system for ***** and giggles before a run up in Michighan, wasn't working. No modes, couldn't change the damper, exhaust, or steering. Took it to the dealer and my actuator was bad, sucks theres no warning or dummy light. Only seem to know it, when you need to put it in 4wd. I talked to someone else, white Gen 3 who was down there on that run i believe, he's around 20k miles as well. Im wondering if thats a tell of something? Read on Gen 3 on FB there was a couple other people with the actuator issue.

Blue Devil

Reaction score
Washed my truck over the weekend and then got a check engine light for powertrain malfunction/reduced power. Truck would barely take off but had power once it got moving. Stopped at a light and the truck wouldn't move at all. had to disconnect battery to get it going again. next day, check engine light gone and drives fine...

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loss of driver modes happened after we would stop for a break and then start going again. None of them were immediate or during the crossing.
I was the first one of three on this run to have this happen. Mine was immediate, but not in a water crossing. It happened when trying to switch from 2WD to 4WD while moving. CEL Wrench icon and Service 4x4 Soon came upon the dash, then all drive modes were no longer available via the dial, nor was I able to adjust shocks, steering, or exhaust via the steering, and none of the 4WD selection buttons would work either.

I was able to read and clear the codes (see below), then everything came back to normal on the display, but whenever trying to put the truck in any mode that used 4WD, or pushing one of the 4WD drive selection buttons, the same thing as above would happen again.

As long as I didn't try to put the truck in 4WD either via a mode or a button, the truck was fine. So I ran it in Sport mode (2WD), traction control off, with off road suspension settings for the reminder of the run.

I've done three events to date, the previous one had many water crossings as well, but there was one main difference between that one and this past event where I lost 4WD. This past event the water crossing were nasty, muddy, fine silt, dark water. The previous event, where I did not have any issues in deep water crossings, it was clear mountain stream water. My theory is something, a sensor or connection, got dirty, really dirty, and truck did not like it.

Truck is headed to the dealer Wednesday for a service and to get this issue checked out. It's worth mentioning that since the event my truck has been cleaned and I hit the under carriage as best as I could with my pressure washer, I now intermittently can get it in and out of 4WD via buttons and modes, but it will eventually do the same as above and lose drive modes.

Here are all the codes:

U0253-00
Lost Communication w/ Accessory Protocol Interface Module

U0403-00
Invalid Data Received From Transfer Case Control Module

B162F-13
(VDM) Circuit Open

B115E-31
Camera Module

U0422-82
Invalid Data Received from Body Control Module

C06A1-11
Wheel Hub Disconnect Motor 'A' Control

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should be able to track down what connectors are hooked to those components that threw codes. More than likely it's not one located in the cab.

I'd identify them, open any I could get to, check them for corrosion, blow them out with compressed air, then pack them chock full of dielectric grease.

G3Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really hoping you guys can report back with the findings and root cause. Would love to know how to avoid this issue if and when using the truck to do any adventures that involve water - I.e. packing the connectors with dielectric grease as mentioned above and wrapping any said connectors with electrical tape.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be able to track down what connectors are hooked to those components that threw codes. More than likely it's not one located in the cab.

I'd identify them, open any I could get to, check them for corrosion, blow them out with compressed air, then pack them chock full of dielectric grease.
I'm going to let the dealer play with it first since it's under warranty. I've got a great relationship with them, and they know I don't just want it fixed, I want to know what it was and how it was fixed, so if needed & possible, I can address it on a run should it happen again or come up with a way to prevent it from happening again, like adding dielectric grease to connections.

G3Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to let the dealer play with it first since it's under warranty. I've got a great relationship with them, and they know I don't just want it fixed, I want to know what it was and how it was fixed, so if needed & possible, I can address it on a run should it happen again or come up with a way to prevent it from happening again, like adding dielectric grease to connections.
Be the hero we need.