Gen 3 Caution: Tailgate Removal and Battery changing causing issues: Fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Further caution and info when needing to remove your tailgate or change your battery.

as originally discussed from another thread found here:https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...in-bedliner-reverse-break-assist-error.87287/

a few of us have experienced a “Reverse Brake Assist unavailable” after have our trucks beds lined, myself included.

In dealing with the problem came to find out what causes this, and figured I’d pass along the info that my Linex got from Ford, and also what the service manger my local dealership said.

What I was told is This issue currently is specific to 21 F150 models (similar issues on MachE), and although it’s considered a knowm issue, it’s “new“ enough to not have a dedicated TSB. The issue is electrical system faults that cause sensors and features to be unavailable In situations with tailgate and battery removal.

Right I’m told there are two specific cases that they are aware of. The first is what was originally experienced above in regards to the tailgate. If the tailgate is removed from the truck (say for a bedliner) and the truck is turned on (accessories only), started and/or moved with the tailgate disconnected it thows an error into a module that contorls rear parking/brake sensors. Key point that is different from the original post is this can happen just with having the truck on/accessory on, and not moved. “Computer systems awake”

the second case that was mentioned has to deal with battery change/removal, and not as much info.
Similar situation in that if you need to remove or change the battery that the truck must be “off”, specifically mentioned having all the doors closed and key fob away from the truck before taking the leads off the battery. fairly common sense,but said the known issue had to deal with A door being open and fob In the vehicle causing the computer to be awake, and when removing the battery in this situation caused faults.

For the tailgate situation my truck is scheduled to go into the shop on Friday to have modules/computer system recalibrated/reflashed. I don’t have many specifics of what modules etc. but will share any info and/or references to what is done.
the service manger said it will take a few hours to complete, most of which the truck will just be hooked to a computer downloading the data. He said that my truck would be the third one they have done this month.

Use cation when getting your bed lined or disconnecting your battery when hooking up accessories.AEC11C7A-EF27-47B1-BDC9-2812FE48F846.jpeg

Last edited:

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Further caution and info when needing to remove your tailgate or change your battery.

as originally discussed from another thread found here:https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...in-bedliner-reverse-break-assist-error.87287/

a few of us have experienced a “Reverse Brake Assist unavailable” after have our trucks beds lined, myself included.

In dealing with the problem came to find out what causes this, and figured I’d pass along the info that my Linex got from Ford, and also what the service manger my local dealership said.

What I was told is This issue currently is specific to 21 F150 models (similar issues on MachE), and although it’s considered a knowm issue, it’s “new“ enough to not have a dedicated TSB. The issue is electrical system faults that cause sensors and features to be unavailable In situations with tailgate and battery removal.

Right I’m told there are two specific cases that they are aware of. The first is what was originally experienced above in regards to the tailgate. If the tailgate is removed from the truck (say for a bedliner) and the truck is turned on (accessories only), started and/or moved with the tailgate disconnected it thows an error into a module that contorls rear parking/brake sensors. Key point that is different from the original post is this can happen just with having the truck on/accessory on, and not moved. “Computer systems awake”

the second case that was mentioned has to deal with battery change/removal, and not as much info.
Similar situation in that if you need to remove or change the battery that the truck must be “off”, specifically mentioned having all the doors closed and key fob away from the truck before taking the leads off the battery. fairly common sense,but said the known issue had to deal with A door being open and fob In the vehicle causing the computer to be awake, and when removing the battery in this situation caused faults.

For the tailgate situation my truck is scheduled to go into the shop on Friday to have modules/computer system recalibrated/reflashed. I don’t have many specifics of what modules etc. but will share any info and/or references to what is done.
the service manger said it will take a few hours to complete, most of which the truck will just be hooked to a computer downloading the data. He said that my truck would be the third one they have done this month.

Use cation when getting your bed lined or disconnecting your battery when hooking up accessories.View attachment 325562
Honest question is your reverse brake assist turned off in the sync screen? I turned mine off cause it's too touchy backing into my garage cause I gotta cut sharp to back in. If my feature is switched off I get this error everytime I shift to reverse. Just wanted to clarify that in case some of yours got reverted back to off somehow. I work at the dealer and I personally never have had to calibrate one ever and our local ziebart does our liners aftermarket. I dunno though if they take tailgates off or not.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honest question is your reverse brake assist turned off in the sync screen? I turned mine off cause it's too touchy backing into my garage cause I gotta cut sharp to back in. If my feature is switched off I get this error everytime I shift to reverse. Just wanted to clarify that in case some of yours got reverted back to off somehow. I work at the dealer and I personally never have had to calibrate one ever and our local ziebart does our liners aftermarket. I dunno though if they take tailgates off or not.
Appreciate the question and logic.

Yes, reverse brake assist was/is turned on, along with cross lane assist.
When brake assist is turned off, you get a different message in the center screen reminding you that it’s turned off. The fault message in this situation specifies not available Vs. off.

some people reported success with toggling both of these settings and on and off, while others reported needing to drive and the truck would relearn/correct itself. The owners manual suggests ”driving in a straight line” as a fix per the manual.

in my situation neither of these suggestions worked. I turned the settings on/off several times drove over 30 miles, turned truck on/off etc with no luck.

From my conversation with Ford service manager this issue is specific to 21 F150’s only, with most cases being the tailgate issue after being bed lined And tailgate removed. not raptor specific, but also couldn’t confirm if it was a trim level or feature specific fault.

looking around the innerweb there are a handful of other people expierencing this issue as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an attachment that @birdieman posted on the other thread.

From my understanding this is the original TSB from when the issue first was noticed. It’s from July and is for the f15p and machE.

it’s also my understanding that an updated specific tsb is coming.

Attachments

• TSB 21-2249 3.pdf
    541.6 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: FIXED!

Took my truck to the dealer today for the rear brake unavailable fault.

the service manager again confirmed that the issues are specific to f150’s with rear parking sensors and rear park assist.

The fault occurs when the tailgate is removed (for any reason) and the truck is awake/on/started/moved etc with the tailgate removed. in most instances this fault corrupts the computer module programming for the rear park assist and associated sensors.

The fix is to have this module re-flashed/reprogrammed by the dealer.
‘this process took approx. 3 hours to complete (This module and the update for rear fan on the inverte done at same time).

**Heres the crappy part:**
Because this issue was caused by someone removing the tailgate it was NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
I openly admitted to having the bed lined, and the installer removing the tailgate but I never was told or saw anything in the owners manual saying not to take off the tailgate.

My Linex dealer couldn’t have been better, and covered the cost Without hesitation
He’s disappointed that no one from this dealer gave him a heads up or warning (he does all of their new vehicle liners) And found out after the fact that two new tremors he lined last week had the fault, and the dealer just fixed them before the owners took delivery. But again never mentioned it to him…

’Drove the truck home 30 miles and everything seems fine.
No error messages and parking assist works.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is identified by them as a TSB related item (a bug in the code/logic) then it really should be covered by warranty. That is a little disappointing to hear. Just out of curiosity, what was the cost passed along to your Linex guy?

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is identified by them as a TSB related item (a bug in the code/logic) then it really should be covered by warranty. That is a little disappointing to hear. Just out of curiosity, what was the cost passed along to your Linex guy?
What I couldn’t get a straight answer on is if it was actually a TSB yet. They acknowledged that Ford new about it, and what needed reprogrammed, but thats it.

On my paper work it does not list any info other than my complaint and that it was fixed.
I also had the rear inverter fan reprogrammed, and on that line item the tsb/Ssm # was listed.

So maybe this is truly a “new” ish issue?

Price was $240 charged to my Linex dealer.

JCO

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: FIXED!

Took my truck to the dealer today for the rear brake unavailable fault.

the service manager again confirmed that the issues are specific to f150’s with rear parking sensors and rear park assist.

The fault occurs when the tailgate is removed (for any reason) and the truck is awake/on/started/moved etc with the tailgate removed. in most instances this fault corrupts the computer module programming for the rear park assist and associated sensors.

The fix is to have this module re-flashed/reprogrammed by the dealer.
‘this process took approx. 3 hours to complete (This module and the update for rear fan on the inverte done at same time).

**Heres the crappy part:**
Because this issue was caused by someone removing the tailgate it was NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
I openly admitted to having the bed lined, and the installer removing the tailgate but I never was told or saw anything in the owners manual saying not to take off the tailgate.

My Linex dealer couldn’t have been better, and covered the cost Without hesitation
He’s disappointed that no one from this dealer gave him a heads up or warning (he does all of their new vehicle liners) And found out after the fact that two new tremors he lined last week had the fault, and the dealer just fixed them before the owners took delivery. But again never mentioned it to him…

’Drove the truck home 30 miles and everything seems fine.
No error messages and parking assist works.
How much did this cost? I am scheduled to go in on the 30th to have it done.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much did this cost? I am scheduled to go in on the 30th to have it done.
the work order showed $240, however I’m assuming that was a B2B price.
I’d guess out of pocket would have been 25% more so $300.

I think this price will vary by dealer….

Crool88

Reaction score
I'm going in for Line-X on Monday. I'll see if the shop is aware of this. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the tailgate? If so, I’m thinking I’ll have them open the tailgate and then lock truck. Then take the fob into the office or something. Don’t bring the fob near the truck until the tailgate is hooked back up.