Gen 3 Brake Upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the brakes. Every Ford I've driven or owned, has had sub-standard brake performance and a very soft feeling under the pedal like there's not enough stopping power.

I thought I read though, that the Gen 3 has at least some material upgrades in either the pad and/or front rotors. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, but the rear brakes are exactly the same as the Gen 2

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
1. GT350 and GT500 brakes are seriously fantastic.

2. The raptor's brakes, the booster, the precharge, the EVERYTHING lean towards the intended use of the truck ( offroad).

I did not find the raptor's brakes lacking until I REALLY started beating on it offroad. They fade and don't do so well when really hot.

BUT, my alcons kinda suck until they get warm. once they're warm, they'll tear your head off.

a "perfect" braking setup for a raptor is a matter of perspective and your most common use. I don't think y'all are going to get a set of brakes that please everyone.

BUT, you can actually tune the brake feeling in a raptor, however, no aftermarket tuner that I've ever met has good enough lawyers, insurance, or knowledge to successfully make a braking system "tune" that would please the masses.

IamCanadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i upgrade my brake.

I suspect the brakes on Gen 3 will be the same for the 35 and 37. No brake upgrade for the other F150, but I wonder if they are going to change the gearing with the 37 " tire option?

I would bet on it that the brakes on the R are upgraded.....

OP
OP
J

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recall in more than 1 video with a Ford representative it was stated that the new G3 will come with the current 410 gear set. The question is whether the G3 has upgraded brakes compared to the G2. I don’t see Ford changing brakes only due to tire size....... cheaper in the long run to have a system that fits all tire versions rather than stock multiple parts.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 3 gets exactly same brakes as Gen 2

Ford is mass manufacturer, all F-150 get the same set, regardless whether it is XL, XLT, or Raptor

Eggorian

Reaction score
I put a 37’s and a Whipple kit on my Gen 2, and pretty much immediately felt the need to upgrade my brakes, so I did. I’m sure the Alcans are great for $7k+, but I did drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads and stainless brake lines for about $1500 and am pretty happy. Noticeable improvement over OEM

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Brake upgrade are limited by the 17” wheels; you can only fit a rotor so big in that limited space. RAM runs 18” wheels on the TRX, which allows for 15” rotors front and rear. I think the 4 piston or 6 piston Brembo calipers from the Mustang would provide a nice improvement in pedal feel and brake performance.

FYI, all 2021+ F-150s including Gen 3 Raptor use a completely new design called Electric Brake Booster (EBB). It combines the master cylinder, brake booster, ABS Module, and HCU into one unit. As the brake pedal is applied, the ABS Module uses the HCU to generate the brake pressure to apply the friction components. The pedal resistance is provided by a spring, so it remains consistent regardless of conditions. If there is a failure in the system, there are backup hydraulic lines that allow the brakes to be applied using pedal pressure.

OP
OP
J

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Sir.

Understand that 17” wheels limit rotor size.

Does the new EBB actually help with stopping distance or is it more about feel and control?

We’ll see how the new brakes compare to their G2 counterparts.

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda surprised ford didn’t go 18s with the 37s for better braking power