Gen 3 2021 Ford Raptor with 37's has a different frame, than 2021 Raptor with 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Motor Trend and TFL, Ford told them the 37 has a different frame.

Road and Track says less travel with the 37's, see below
Is Road and Track a reliable source?

From Motor Trend

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/f-150/2021/2021-ford-f-150-raptor-first-look-review/

Time For New Frames
Ford needed two new frames for the Raptor lineup; both modified to accommodate the new five-link coil-sprung rear suspension, and one further revised to accommodate a 37-inch spare tire mounted under the bed. In fact, the 37s are part of a whole system, including wheels and tires, a different frame for the spare, different shock hardware, and different overall tuning. The standard Raptor will come on 35-inch tires, which don't get the frame modification to fit the spare.

It is a pretty big change, Ford Performance Chief Engineer Carl Widmann says: "We probably should have put a second step board on it to get down from the vehicle. When you grab the steering wheel to get in, you will notice it right off the bat. And it definitely gives it a different appearance."

Back in the day, 35s were seen as a big step. "To get a factory-delivered vehicle with 37s that is all integrated in the chassis electronics, versus what people been doing when their 35s wore out, that's why we spent time to do this," Widmann says.

Ground clearance is 12.0 inches with the standard 35-inch tires and 13.1 inches with the 37s.

FROM Road and Track

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35383467/2021-ford-f-150-raptor-details-photos-specs/

With the standard-fit 35-inch tires, Ford says the new Raptor offers 14 inches of suspension travel up front and 15 inches at the rear. Step up to the optional 37s and that travel decreases slightly, down to 13 inches at the front and 14.1 inches in the rear, to stop those big Raptor-specific BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s from chewing away at the wheel wells. To fit those huge optional tires, Ford engineers had to lower the front differential slightly (it still sits higher than the frame crossmembers, so there's no decrease in ground clearance), relocate the front spring perches, and fit larger-diameter rods on the front shock absorbers. Trucks with the 37-inch option package get a special mount to fit a full-size spare under the bed, too—don't expect to outsmart the automaker by buying a truck with 35-inch tires and swapping on 37s.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is a different frame. The Raptor no longer shares the F150 frame.

The question is whether the Raptor on 35s has a different frame than the Raptor package with 37s. The greater question then is whether you can get the 35s and then add 37s, along with other required/recommended changes, for cheaper than the 37s package. No one can say for sure since we don't have pricing yet. However, that question becomes even more important since Ford wants to throw in blue/orange styling, recaro seats, alcantaro...with the 37s package. I can see a lot of people preferring to go with the thier own 37s, getting some of the 37s package parts, a tire carrier for the spare, etc...rather than looking at an interior they don't like. Then again, it might be cheaper to go with the 37s package and get aftermarket seats.

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question is whether the Raptor on 35s has a different frame than the Raptor package with 37s. The greater question then is whether you can get the 35s and then add 37s, along with other required/recommended changes, for cheaper than the 37s package. No one can say for sure since we don't have pricing yet. However, that question becomes even more important since Ford wants to throw in blue/orange styling, recaro seats, alcantaro...with the 37s package. I can see a lot of people preferring to go with the thier own 37s, getting some of the 37s package parts, a tire carrier for the spare, etc...rather than looking at an interior they don't like. Then again, it might be cheaper to go with the 37s package and get aftermarket seats.
Yes it does.

OP
OP
06z

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is no. The shocks are different, larger shaft on the 37 package. Also the TFL video states the front shock mounts are different between the Raptor and Raptor 37 package. Weather this is true or not, not sure.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe this is no. The shocks are different, larger shaft on the 37 package. Also the TFL video states the front shock mounts are different between the Raptor and Raptor 37 package. Weather this is true or not, not sure.
I think the difference between the gen 2 and gen 3 frame are the reinforcement of the front shock towers (I think same on 35 and 37 model), frame mods to accommodate the linked rear suspension. Pretty sure those are the 2 differences between gen 2 and gen 3 frame. Now the 37" package had the frame reworked in the spare tire area solely to fit the larger 37" tire, nothing more, nothing less.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yea, I understood that. That's what I was referring to by "37s package parts". Can you get all the actually benefits of the 37" package separately without the extras you don't want.