Gen 2 with a roof top tent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one running a RTT on their Gen 2? I am thinking about putting one in the bed on a low profile bed rack. Anybody running this set up? Or have one on a standard bed rack or the roof? I am interested on how the Raptor rides and performs off road and on road either full time or part time with a RTT. Any need for mods to the suspension for the weight?

Last edited:

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one yet. I've got a Leitner rack and I'm thinking about getting a James Baroud or maybe an AluCab RTT. Also looking at the iKamper. I started out like you thinking that I'd do a Frontrunner rack mounted low to keep the tent out of the airflow but decided that I'd get more use out of the Leitner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one yet. I've got a Leitner rack and I'm thinking about getting a James Baroud or maybe an AluCab RTT. Also looking at the iKamper. I started out like you thinking that I'd do a Frontrunner rack mounted low to keep the tent out of the airflow but decided that I'd get more use out of the Leitner.

I like the Leitner racks too. I am thinking bout having something custom made that is versatile and is about half way between a standard rack and the front runner height. I've got surfboards to carry. I know front runner makes the vertical board rack, which helps for space, but is not good when its hot and your board wax starts to melt and slide down the board!

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Leitner racks too. I am thinking bout having something custom made that is versatile and is about half way between a standard rack and the front runner height. I've got surfboards to carry. I know front runner makes the vertical board rack, which helps for space, but is not good when its hot and your board wax starts to melt and slide down the board!

You might consider a cab rack for the surfboard. I have a surf ski and thought about that but I felt like it would be better strapped further back. Plus the Leitner will allow me to stand in the bed for better access getting it on and off the roof. But I talked to Frontrunner about doing a cab rack and they said they'd already done one for a new raptor so no problem. I might do it anyway just because I have a spare set of solar panels and it would be cool to be able to mount them there and run a fridge.

OP
OP
F

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might consider a cab rack for the surfboard. I have a surf ski and thought about that but I felt like it would be better strapped further back. Plus the Leitner will allow me to stand in the bed for better access getting it on and off the roof. But I talked to Frontrunner about doing a cab rack and they said they'd already done one for a new raptor so no problem. I might do it anyway just because I have a spare set of solar panels and it would be cool to be able to mount them there and run a fridge.

I actually have a bunch of requirements I will need for storage etc, too many to list or discuss.

I am mostly concerned with the performance of the truck and how the extra weight will affect it. I have lots of experience with V8 ford trucks and I know it would not be a problem. So its a question of how the Gen 2 V6 and the Fox suspension will handle the weight. My goal is to use this truck as it is supposed to be used and be off-road as much as possible.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooooooooooo!

It's not something I'd personally want to drive around with all the time, but if you're O.K. with it, the Habitats are nice.

Last edited:

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone here has a rack and then the tent is on that; its not on the roof but is on the rack

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 4.25.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 4.25.39 PM.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 916