Gen 2 vs Gen 3 Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrLiou168

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wondering what the differences between the gen 2 and gen 3 shocks are. Here in SoCal, highway undulations and expansion joints seem to be “in tune” (resonant frequency) of the gen 2 truck, which means at 70MPH the truck shakes so much that passengers can’t hold their voice steady when talking. Now, on the same freeways, the gen 3 smooths everything out and is actually a pleasure to drive!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wondering what the differences between the gen 2 and gen 3 shocks are. Here in SoCal, highway undulations and expansion joints seem to be “in tune” (resonant frequency) of the gen 2 truck, which means at 70MPH the truck shakes so much that passengers can’t hold their voice steady when talking. Now, on the same freeways, the gen 3 smooths everything out and is actually a pleasure to drive!
I'm guessing the difference is the rear springs. Gen 2 has crappy leafs. Mine bounced when new. It still does. It's really annoying.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 with the DSC sport controller and it’s pretty smooth on the SoCal freeways. I think the 5 link would make that even better. How many miles did you have on the Gen 2 shocks?

OP
OP
M

MrLiou168

Reaction score
Yeah.... I'm thinking coils vs leafs... but it's in the design somewhere. Definitely not worn shocks or tires - started when new and went to 11k miles. Bounces around like crazy even with the psi set way below factory spec. Funny thing was that the TRX behaved exactly the same. But the gen 3 shock tuning is near magical and I can finally relax on the highway!

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen3 suspension is what I’ve always wanted from a pickup truck. Been trying different models since 2010, including the Gen2, and never found one I liked. Didn’t want to sink a ton of money into crazy aftermarket setups either.

That said, there is still a section of highway near my house that gets a good resonant bounce going in the Gen3.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wondering what the differences between the gen 2 and gen 3 shocks are. Here in SoCal, highway undulations and expansion joints seem to be “in tune” (resonant frequency) of the gen 2 truck, which means at 70MPH the truck shakes so much that passengers can’t hold their voice steady when talking.
anything that shuts up passengers is an outstanding feature in my book.