Gen 2 Upfitter Switch Tailgate Release Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruby

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New owner and already decided I can’t NOT get this... Let me know when you’re back in the CONUS and I’ll order one as well.

Safe return...
I’m back! I’ve been back for a few weeks now. The wife has been picking up my slack lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On its way!!

Well that was fast... Kit’s already here!

Only got 1/2 way through installation over an extended lunch break before I had to head back into work. Friggin’ interior upfitter wires are still playing hide and seek despite me opening ~8” of the harness so far.

Under hood connection was easy enough (I chose Aux 6 switch; green with orange stripe on my ‘18):

i-4DXXPNj-XL.jpg

I used my own (doubled up) heat shrink, though it was included in this extremely well though out kit:

i-vTJkjBS-X3.jpg

Heat shrink on, and remaining wires tempoarily zip tied out of the way:

i-MLNKJQn-X3.jpg

I’ll rewrap them if I wind up not fitting lights soon.

Really having a difficult time finding the interior connection point (‘nub’ end of the upfitter wire). I’ve gone from the plug in connectors all the way up to where the wiring harness goes up behind the dashboard and no joy so far. I even took out the glove box to have better acceess. I can see the wire in the harness/loom, but so far no end piece to tie into like there is in the engine compartment. So close to finishing as the kit is laid out very clearly and the relay itself is very easy to install, but the damn wire loom installers at Ford are making it difficult.

Will take pics of that tomorrow if I get home from work in time...otherwise this weekend. For those who have installed on an ‘18, was the ‘nub’ end closer to the fuse box end or way up above the glove box?

I may need a resupply of that last tool required in the instructions!

OP
OP
Ruby

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was fast... Kit’s already here!

Only got 1/2 way through installation over an extended lunch break before I had to head back into work. Friggin’ interior upfitter wires are still playing hide and seek despite me opening ~8” of the harness so far.

Under hood connection was easy enough (I chose Aux 6 switch; green with orange stripe on my ‘18):

i-4DXXPNj-XL.jpg

I used my own (doubled up) heat shrink, though it was included in this extremely well though out kit:

i-vTJkjBS-X3.jpg

Heat shrink on, and remaining wires tempoarily zip tied out of the way:

i-MLNKJQn-X3.jpg

I’ll rewrap them if I wind up not fitting lights soon.

Really having a difficult time finding the interior connection point (‘nub’ end of the upfitter wire). I’ve gone from the plug in connectors all the way up to where the wiring harness goes up behind the dashboard and no joy so far. I even took out the glove box to have better acceess. I can see the wire in the harness/loom, but so far no end piece to tie into like there is in the engine compartment. So close to finishing as the kit is laid out very clearly and the relay itself is very easy to install, but the damn wire loom installers at Ford are making it difficult.

Will take pics of that tomorrow if I get home from work in time...otherwise this weekend. For those who have installed on an ‘18, was the ‘nub’ end closer to the fuse box end or way up above the glove box?

I may need a resupply of that last tool required in the instructions!

bb280f5ae38b6ce8758f20358784bbde.jpgcd546e8f4b554153b8d5a4e576072946.jpg

Here’s two pics of a 2018s interior upfitter wires. After selling about 1300 kits so far, it seems like a very few of the 2018s wires are folded up and stowed high above the fuse box. Must have been a lazy factory worker. Most wires are clearly visible. Some people with the suspect 2018s have had great luck lowering the glovebox door and looking/feeling right above the fuse box for the nubs.

It’s sad a small handful of you guys are having trouble finding them. The whole point of the upfitter wires are to make life easy!

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

After opening up far, far more of the loom than required I noticed some wires going straight back to the firewall from the loom immediately above the fuse box:

i-384dL3P-X3.jpg

Right above that huge junction of 5 different looms:

i-VntWQrS-X3.jpg

Success!

i-Wz4t2vR-X3.jpg

I never would have found them if I hadn’t opened the side panel off to the right of the glovebox. And we can ignore the other wires. Move along...nothing to see here!

Or at least there won’t be after rewrapping the loom!

After that it was easy peasy! Velcroed the relay in and added a zip tie to the relay bracket around the big loom behind the fuse box:

i-c8J238c-X3.jpg

The nut holding the ground wire was 13mm on my truck.

And after pushing down the tab and pulling the release leaver towards me, inserted the wire for the plug:

i-4L9zqHP-X3.jpg

Edit: connector lifts straight up/out...not back towards the wiring loom like most connectors:

i-rpJRLPh-X3.jpg

Wire inserted before zip tying it to the rest of that loom section:

i-nPzWDSH-X3.jpg

Only used one layer of heat shrink on the upfitter connection since this is in the interior:

i-DCdkqhm-X3.jpg

All tucked away and zip tied in place:

i-JDXckpS-X3.jpg

And all the other wires zipped up and put back into place:

i-Dm4TMtB-X3.jpg

Yes... I actually completely (and unnecessarily) removed the glove box and side panel trying to find those damn wires!

Regardless, success!

i-7CMfGhK-640.mp4

Well, video won’t embed properly... here’s a link:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7CMfGhK/0/4073bd15/640/i-7CMfGhK-640.mp4

I’d like to thank Ruby again for such an awesome and well put together piece of kit.

Great mod...

Last edited:

ob1

Reaction score
I have a 2018.
The install was easy. Finding the wires inside was the hardest part.
What I learned...

I looked for those wires for a long time. By lowering the glove box and shining a light around I was fortunate enough to get a glimpse of the BLACK ENDS of the wires. I did not see any actual wire colors. (Look at the ends of the wires inside the engine compartment and shine the light on them - memorize that look.)

The next trick was getting a hold of the wires. They were tucked so far back I could not reach them with pliers or a hemostat. I got my Berkley stainless steel fish hook remover (google the image) and got a hold of the ends and they came right down into the working field. From there you are home free.

Hope this helps someone.
bob