Gen 2 towing a 7k lb travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 28’ Magic boat with my Raptor. Only complaint I have is the squat which is about 2”. My boat with trailer, all gear, and loaded with fuel is about 7k lbs. truck pulls it perfectly fine. Zero tire slippage in 2H when I pull it out of the water too. I’m not towing far though. My storage is in havasu so it’s only a few mines to the launch ramp. I probably should get a WDH but they are a mess and I don’t tow my boat far at all....
Depending on the boat trailer there isn’t any decent way to use a WDH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weakest link for towing w/ Gen. 2 Raptor is the stock wheels/tires IMO.

To date, I've towed a few thousand miles with loaded 24' enclosed trailer near 7500 lbs.
Aside from dealing with squat (multiple solutions), changing to a higher weight rated tire works wonders.
As for squat, I found Roadmaster Active suspension works great for the money.

I recently went with 20" Vorsteiners w/ Goodyear MTR E rated tires and couldn't be happier for all around performance (on/off road).

Also, just for clarity, at/near max tow weight, a WDH is required (nobody should debate this).

View attachment 125578

View attachment 125579

I agree on the stock truck tires for sure. I’ll be getting new wheels the end of this week and tires beginning of next week before I move mine again, only 13,500 miles on stock set up.

Same could be said for most trailer tires too, I’ll be changing out the wheels and tires on my enclosed next week. Went with a commercial grade truck/van tire and bumped wheel size from a 15 to a 16 inch.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys doing about transmission temps?
Anyone step up and put a larger cooler on?

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just did a 1300 mile tow w/ approx. 7500 lb enclosed trailer from MN to Atlanta.
I bought a Full Race trannny cooler but did NOT have a chance to install yet.

I was actually impressed by the stock cooler as I monitored temps the entire way.
Making me rethink the need to go aftermarket.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll watch mine when I head north again, it’s summer time so might see some higher temps, the other times I’ve towed it was crap weather or it was Fall time so the ambient was only around 40F.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was actually impressed by the stock cooler as I monitored temps the entire way.
That is a nice thing to hear...I'm looking at 20ft enclosed trailers (max 7,000 lbs loaded) and was thinking what the trans temps would be...my trans likes to run about 195 degs most of the time (non towing) which is a little higher then I'd like to see (used to about 180 degs on other trucks) but if it doesn't go too much higher then 195 then sounds like its good to tow...

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a nice thing to hear...I'm looking at 20ft enclosed trailers (max 7,000 lbs loaded) and was thinking what the trans temps would be...my trans likes to run about 195 degs most of the time (non towing) which is a little higher then I'd like to see (used to about 180 degs on other trucks) but if it doesn't go too much higher then 195 then sounds like its good to tow...
When’s your trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loaner f-150 I have was running 203* today but it was 109* outside, sound about right?

dboat

Reaction score
To bring this thread back to life. I have a 19 Screw and am looking at TT in the 21-25ft range with a dry weight of 4100-5000 lbs. the tongue weight on all these different trailers is all over the place. Will definitely get a WDH, am thinking Anderson. So unless I load up the bed, I think I should be ok. I may have to put a 3000+ amp service for the a/c (likely 15,000 btu).
Will I likely be ok on stock shocks and wdh alone?
am new to this so am looking for some guidance.
Dana