Gen 2 towing a 7k lb travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
at full compression, are those ubolts slamming into the frame? can't tell if itll clear.

No...the picture makes it look like they are right under the frame, but they are to the outside....

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up our travel trailer last week and was a bit nervous to see how this thing would tow it. My brother in law had me freaked out that it was going to squat a ton even with the WDH on it as his Ram 1500 did. He had to do airbags on his truck even with the WDH. Regardless I was pretty impressed with how well it did. Truck sat almost perfectly level and I have RPG 1.5 collars up front and stock in rear. Fuel mileage I averaged 9.7mpg at 70-75 mph for 180 miles towing this. Trailer sway was almost non existent as I put a sway control bar on the truck. Power wise I was in 9th gear 100% of the time on level ground, and even on some slight upgrades. It would drop to 8th gear when climbing some grade. Overall I was very impressed with how well it did. Nothing about towing this trailer made me feel uncomfortable.

Trailer is 32ft long and is 7k.

We had 1400lbs of payload and that included the tongue weight of trailer....ya I know we were 200lbs over the max payload.

A spring kit is on my list of things to do, I like the stance, I'm just not sure which kit to go with. I like the RPG kits, either the adjustable spring perch collar or the original spring perch collar. I don't want the dealer to screw with me on warranty, but all they use is rough country spacers. Only looking to get 1.5 in the front, I don't want it to look weird when I hook onto my trailer. I do utilize the super sumo bump stop replacements in the rear when towing (the 1500 pound ones). they just touch the axle when I let the jack down and no load in the bed. That and a WDH do what I need in the rear, people talking about the rear springs going flat concerns me. I have a 24 foot enclosed V-nose trailer for hauling the side by side around.

Last edited:

dwiyrick

Reaction score
I routinely pull a 30 ft. TT fully loaded AR 8500#s. 850# tongue weight with Anderson WDH......stock springs and bumps. Truck handles it fine, but I did just order up the Icon rear springs. Same price as Deavers, just a little different in approach. Icon supplies the same +3 but they include additional leaf which allows you to go stock feel, +400 or +800 constant. They should come in this week. I think I will run +400 from the start to see how it feels. I carry a few dirt bikes plus fuel so the Rap should be level with bikes in back.
The plus 400 should reduce sag a bit with TT.
I have Geister’s in front.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I routinely pull a 30 ft. TT fully loaded AR 8500#s. 850# tongue weight with Anderson WDH......stock springs and bumps. Truck handles it fine, but I did just order up the Icon rear springs. Same price as Deavers, just a little different in approach. Icon supplies the same +3 but they include additional leaf which allows you to go stock feel, +400 or +800 constant. They should come in this week. I think I will run +400 from the start to see how it feels. I carry a few dirt bikes plus fuel so the Rap should be level with bikes in back.
I have a set of geiser and Icons in the garage ready to install. Icons will be installed at second option. What size tires are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

you have pics towing that weight with the geisers in front? I'm curious how drastic the sag looks with geisers installed.

dwiyrick

Reaction score
I have a set of geiser and Icons in the garage ready to install. Icons will be installed at second option. What size tires are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sticking with 35's. I feel like going up to 37's will change a lot. The brakes are not strong enough already and adding a bunch of weight doesn't make any sense to me. I hear you can go with 37's using this set up.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weakest link for towing w/ Gen. 2 Raptor is the stock wheels/tires IMO.

To date, I've towed a few thousand miles with loaded 24' enclosed trailer near 7500 lbs.
Aside from dealing with squat (multiple solutions), changing to a higher weight rated tire works wonders.
As for squat, I found Roadmaster Active suspension works great for the money.

I recently went with 20" Vorsteiners w/ Goodyear MTR E rated tires and couldn't be happier for all around performance (on/off road).

Also, just for clarity, at/near max tow weight, a WDH is required (nobody should debate this).

o+4PXzVUTgexiSPSA5udMA.jpg

View attachment 125579

Cliff Lohner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 28’ Magic boat with my Raptor. Only complaint I have is the squat which is about 2”. My boat with trailer, all gear, and loaded with fuel is about 7k lbs. truck pulls it perfectly fine. Zero tire slippage in 2H when I pull it out of the water too. I’m not towing far though. My storage is in havasu so it’s only a few mines to the launch ramp. I probably should get a WDH but they are a mess and I don’t tow my boat far at all....