Gen 2 towing a 7k lb travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up our travel trailer last week and was a bit nervous to see how this thing would tow it. My brother in law had me freaked out that it was going to squat a ton even with the WDH on it as his Ram 1500 did. He had to do airbags on his truck even with the WDH. Regardless I was pretty impressed with how well it did. Truck sat almost perfectly level and I have RPG 1.5 collars up front and stock in rear. Fuel mileage I averaged 9.7mpg at 70-75 mph for 180 miles towing this. Trailer sway was almost non existent as I put a sway control bar on the truck. Power wise I was in 9th gear 100% of the time on level ground, and even on some slight upgrades. It would drop to 8th gear when climbing some grade. Overall I was very impressed with how well it did. Nothing about towing this trailer made me feel uncomfortable.

Trailer is 32ft long and is 7k.

We had 1400lbs of payload and that included the tongue weight of trailer....ya I know we were 200lbs over the max payload.

IMG_1103.jpg

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me feel better about the 4500lb trailer I'm pulling to Colorado next weekend.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. No suspension mods or bump stops or anything?

What size bars or what's the weight rating on your WD hitch? I'm going to be towing with almost an identical load.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Not many people know this but the F150's use the truck's rear brakes to eliminate trailer sway, the system works pretty well and makes a big difference vs a Ram.

Last edited:

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Not many people know this but the F150's use the truck's rear brakes to eliminate trailer sway, the system works pretty well and makes a big difference vs a Ram.

Uses more than just the rear brakes, also decreases truck speed and will limit throttle.

Trailer sway - improperly inflated tires on the truck/trailer. Or tires that are not evenly inflated. Improper trailer loading. Wind gusts.

I've had the trailer sway kick in a few times, once was a blown rear tire on my truck, pretty scary. Another was a low rear tire on the truck. Another was going like 75 mph and coming up over a pass while passing a semi and getting hit be a wind gust.

Last trip never kicked in trailer sway but it just wasn't acting right on when I'd get it to 55/above. Finally pulled over and found one trailer tire was about 8 psi lower than the other. Filled it up to match and ran fine from there.

Love the trailer sway control option though, especially for the wife when she's towing.

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What PSI are you running front and rear when towing that much weight?