Gen 2 to Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RaptorKB

RaptorKB

Reaction score
Guys my original post definitely said gen 1 is better in my opinion for my needs and admitted the gen 2 was faster and more refined. I admittedly didn’t/don’t used either gen 2 or gen 1 to it’s full capability. My needs and my opinions are different then some of yours and that’s ok but for me I like the gen 1 better right now.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wont go into my driving background, but i know what people mean when they say a gen 1 is better. i also prefer the gen 1 (specifically mine) over a gen 2. while the gen 2 has more power, more torque, bigger shocks, and whatever else you want to throw in, its about driver feel. how the truck feels to you and how you interact with the truck. sure the gen 2 can go faster over whoops and rough terrain, and take bigger jumps, but some of the og owners will out drive most gen 2 trucks due to how they can drive their truck because of their connection to it. they are more comfortable driving it. i cant explain it, but some of the members here who have a background in driving can attest to how you as an individual can become attached to a specific vehicle and can take that vehicle to its max. and prefer it over the next gen of vehicle. we imported an evo 7 back in the day. spent a whole lot of money and time to get it here. then the evo 8 came out, and 9, and 10...... but we kept the evo 7 for a long time even though there were new generations coming out. so saying a gen is better, isnt necessarily wrong, however a gen 2 is an all around better truck, its personal preference and feel.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wont go into my driving background, but i know what people mean when they say a gen 1 is better. i also prefer the gen 1 (specifically mine) over a gen 2. while the gen 2 has more power, more torque, bigger shocks, and whatever else you want to throw in, its about driver feel. how the truck feels to you and how you interact with the truck. sure the gen 2 can go faster over whoops and rough terrain, and take bigger jumps, but some of the og owners will out drive most gen 2 trucks due to how they can drive their truck because of their connection to it. they are more comfortable driving it. i cant explain it, but some of the members here who have a background in driving can attest to how you as an individual can become attached to a specific vehicle and can take that vehicle to its max. and prefer it over the next gen of vehicle. we imported an evo 7 back in the day. spent a whole lot of money and time to get it here. then the evo 8 came out, and 9, and 10...... but we kept the evo 7 for a long time even though there were new generations coming out. so saying a gen is better, isnt necessarily wrong, however a gen 2 is an all around better truck, its personal preference and feel.
I don’t feel anyone understands this more than me. Case in point, to me the E46 M3 is the best M3 to date. All others are faster and I have for to track them all sans the G80 . I have owned an E46 since early 2000’s and I have owned and tracked some amazing cars but none have giving me that connection like my E46

To the point about Gen 1 vs 2 and Gen 2 vs Gen 3 I was just making a blanket statement ( not directed at OP) that most ppl don’t say I prefer but they just give the statement “ it’s better” I myself would love to own a Gen 1 to compare but I am skeptical because no matter how much power you add you can’t hide weight and that is what kills it for me when it comes to performance vehicles. It’s the reason I would gladly buy a 997 GT3 over a hellcat redeye.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The "feels" is a big difference in this debate.
The Gen 2 is definately more refined and has better creature comfort but get them in the dirt and I prefer the Gen 1. Daily driver on the street.. Gen 2.
Something about the heavier steering feel, the 6speed and the V8 makes it "feel" better to me. Add boost to the 6.2 and the G1 is one of my favorite vehicles period.

On top of all of this, i see G2's everywhere I go, its rare to see a G1 and when you do, its usually built with suspension and all the other good go-fast-offroad goodies.