Gen 2 Rear Suspension Question / Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubbles560

Reaction score
Hi All — Somewhat new owner of a 2019 801A and had a concern about the stock rear suspension on my truck. While I was walking towards the rear end I noticed that the shocks on the left looked reversed vs the shocks on the right. I tried to capture this in a picture showing the view of both as well as a close up of each side.

The first picture below is just the view of the rear end, the second pic is the passenger side and the third pic is a view of the drivers side.

My question / concern is that it looks like the suspension is pointing in different directions as I see the black cover showing on the back (rear end view) on the passenger side, but the same black cover for the drivers side suspension is not visible from the rear end. When I look under the truck I can see that it is there just facing the front of the truck.

I know that this may be a dumb question but wanted to make sure something wasn’t majorly wrong and “reversed” somehow..? Would appreciate any insight or even just a clear picture of a stock rear end to clarify my concern. Appreciate all the help and I apologize if that was confusing.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 35DB0B02-5A41-4148-B49F-AEBF15747999.jpeg
    35DB0B02-5A41-4148-B49F-AEBF15747999.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 2D1D9EFC-29AA-42DC-9D7B-68D0E5A30191.jpeg
    2D1D9EFC-29AA-42DC-9D7B-68D0E5A30191.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 47
  • AF8407E9-BC29-4FC6-B64A-FE6970787E49.jpeg
    AF8407E9-BC29-4FC6-B64A-FE6970787E49.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 46

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All — Somewhat new owner of a 2019 801A and had a concern about the stock rear suspension on my truck. While I was walking towards the rear end I noticed that the shocks on the left looked reversed vs the shocks on the right. I tried to capture this in a picture showing the view of both as well as a close up of each side.

The first picture below is just the view of the rear end, the second pic is the passenger side and the third pic is a view of the drivers side.

My question / concern is that it looks like the suspension is pointing in different directions as I see the black cover showing on the back (rear end view) on the passenger side, but the same black cover for the drivers side suspension is not visible from the rear end. When I look under the truck I can see that it is there just facing the front of the truck.

I know that this may be a dumb question but wanted to make sure something wasn’t majorly wrong and “reversed” somehow..? Would appreciate any insight or even just a clear picture of a stock rear end to clarify my concern. Appreciate all the help and I apologize if that was confusing.

Thanks!!
I'd have to check my Raptor to know for sure. I'll update this post later.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally normal!

The shocks are supposed to be reversed, one angled to the rear (driver's side) and one angled to the front (passenger side). This ensures that the suspension travels in a straight line through the leaf springs. Think of it like this: if both shocks were angled the same direction (say to the rear) then when they compress under a bump, the axle would travel in an arc which would not only cause a headache on what the driveline is doing but also negate the compression of the leaf springs making them less efficient. Now you could also mount them straight up and down but then your shocks would have to be tiny to fit under the bed. Solution? Mount one rearward and one forward.

Now to the shock guards (the black things). They encompass the whole shock so although they look reversed, they're still protecting your shock. There's a few aftermarket solutions to further protect your shocks but they will hold up fine to normal use.

Source: I just walked into my garage

OP
OP
B

Bubbles560

Reaction score
I
Totally normal!

The shocks are supposed to be reversed, one angled to the rear (driver's side) and one angled to the front (passenger side). This ensures that the suspension travels in a straight line through the leaf springs. Think of it like this: if both shocks were angled the same direction (say to the rear) then when they compress under a bump, the axle would travel in an arc which would not only cause a headache on what the driveline is doing but also negate the compression of the leaf springs making them less efficient. Now you could also mount them straight up and down but then your shocks would have to be tiny to fit under the bed. Solution? Mount one rearward and one forward.

Now to the shock guards (the black things). They encompass the whole shock so although they look reversed, they're still protecting your shock. There's a few aftermarket solutions to further protect your shocks but they will hold up fine to normal use.

very helpful and appreciate the insight! Really glad to know nothing is wrong as well. Thank you!

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
This is normal and correct, one in each direction in the rear. Start looking around as almost all vehicles at least trucks will be like this.

MPRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally normal!

Great explanation, simple and to the point!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, the gen 2 trucks had one of them reveresed. one point that wasnt made, was that ford did this to try to prevent axle wrap and axle hop. all the gen 1 trucks are pointed forward and are symmetrical. the 2015 model year is when they changed the shock setup on all f150. i could be wrong, but i believe thats when the major changes took place and the new model year came out