Gen 2 Raptors values starting to climb.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D11gnccer

Reaction score
I have sold two well maintained vehicles to car max simply because it’s hassle free and the offer was more than what the dealer offered. I would have sold my mustang to them as well, but the tax advantage for trade-in weighed in my favor during the Raptor purchase. I would still heavily inspect the under carriage and try to determine if the tires are original.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have sold two well maintained vehicles to car max simply because it’s hassle free and the offer was more than what the dealer offered. I would have sold my mustang to them as well, but the tax advantage for trade-in weighed in my favor during the Raptor purchase. I would still heavily inspect the under carriage and try to determine if the tires are original.

That is an easy one when the red dots are still on them or the truck happens to have less than 20k miles. The skid plate is one place to look but scapes do happen especially in construction zones. Mine was a Covid dump with a guy trading it in on a gmc after sticking 10 grand worth of accessories on it. Mine has line x on the side beds, back flip bed cover with box, avs rain guards plus bug shield, window tint, ceramic coatings, and some other bits. I looked deep into autocheck and car fax reports, I saw routine maintainanence so I figured it to be a good truck. Uses vehicles are always a gamble

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems great compared to the changes currently, certainly as expressed on this thread, congrats. How do you like it? Did you have a gen 1 prior? Drove a 5.4 today and was not impressed enough to buy. Looked cool as sh*t though.
I love the thing. Looked at gen 1 also but people were asking mid 40’s for a 2014 scab with 30-40k miles at the time so I just put the extra few bucks into a much more updated truck. V6/V8 isn’t something I care about when the former has so much more oomf anyway.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not necessary true that carmax is a dumping ground for bad trucks. This person may have lost their job due to covid and looking to trade in for cash today or was looking to downgrade to standard truck...at carmax you can drive all the big three at once (or whatever car) and pick one.

Good luck doing either of those things at dealerships without getting taking for a ride. Actual dealers being jackasses is what has allowed carmax to thrive in the first place...

Agreed. CarMax pays extremely well for high demand vehicles and they have had very low stock on Raptors lately, so I don’t find it odd at all that someone would find CM to be the best place to sell one. On top of that it’s the most hassle-free option you’ll ever find.

I traded my ‘15 F150 in at CarMax for two used cars. It was the first transaction the salesman had ever done, and I was still in and out in less time than it took me to negotiate and pay cash for a single vehicle at a new car dealer (no trade).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is not necessary true that carmax is a dumping ground for bad trucks. This person may have lost their job due to covid and looking to trade in for cash today or was looking to downgrade to standard truck...at carmax you can drive all the big three at once (or whatever car) and pick one.

Good luck doing either of those things at dealerships without getting taking for a ride. Actual dealers being jackasses is what has allowed carmax to thrive in the first place...

Valid points, but you’re still taking a risk in regards to the vehicle’s history. I suppose I’ve just seen too many of the bad ones.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see how CarMax vehicles have any different risk of history than any other auto retailer does. Every dealer—including the Ford dealer down the road from my house—will buy any vehicle they think they can make money from regardless of whether you’re also buying a vehicle from them.

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m now seriously thinking of selling my Raptor and going without a 2nd vehicle for a year so I can buy the Gen3 next year. I’ve always worked from home so we can easily get by with just one car.

The only real problem is that I really do like my Raptor.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need it as my DD, I like it and nothing out there to replace it. So I’m keeping it. Not going to worry all that much about depreciation and when supply and demand will settle back down. These trucks normally hold value well.

Supply of Gen 3’s and ADM’s are something to be dealt with within the first couple of years of a new model like this vehicle. So you may end up paying more on one end and lose what you gained.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m now seriously thinking of selling my Raptor and going without a 2nd vehicle for a year so I can buy the Gen3 next year. I’ve always worked from home so we can easily get by with just one car.

The only real problem is that I really do like my Raptor.

Yeah, but it'll be quite hard to get a Gen 3 next year for reasonable money (MSRP or below). I'll keep driving my $5k off sticker new 2019 Raptor for a few more years until discounts can be had on the Gen 3 (and any bugs worked out).

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it'll be quite hard to get a Gen 3 next year for reasonable money (MSRP or below). I'll keep driving my $5k off sticker new 2019 Raptor for a few more years until discounts can be had on the Gen 3 (and any bugs worked out).

That too is a consideration..