Gen 2 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2017, bought it in 19 with 15,000 miles. ZERO issues thus far, 95,000 miles and I am tuned, run it like I stole it and off road it.

The only reasons it goes to the dealer is for $50 oil changes #SAVE MY BACK and recalls. I do have an extendo warranto though.

*knock on wood*

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
ESP for a stocker, DD duties isn’t a bad consideration. Ford’s warranty and service is “OK”, but as @FordTechOne is fond of pointing out, we’re not discussing luxury brands here. The ESP has a few add on perks that can help like rental coverage, light coverage, etc. It’s not the cheapest thing in the world, but it only takes a couple of repairs to pay for it - moon roof tracks and a single hard part would probably be enough.

Now, as @Donovan pointed out, you can probably get away with not having it and if it’s not your only vehicle or not your primary then maybe the ESP doesn’t make sense but if you need the truck front and center to handle commuting and street level duties, think about it.

IF you decide to go that route, get the Ford ESP - Flood and Ziegler usually have the best pricing, do NOT get an aftermarket warranty and expect the same level of coverage / service. I think I’ve used the ESP from Ford twice, and it was $900 one time and insignificant the other time. Both encounters were drama free. My aftermarket warranty experience was not anywhere close to drama free.

Teraflx

Reaction score
My 2020 has 31,000 miles. I did not buy the ESP, they usually aren't worth it when I buy them. My luck is that the issue is usually not covered or I sell it before I ever need it. Others have the opposite luck and buy some type of warranty and it pays off big and saves them on a large issue. I baby my stuff though and am really good about maintenance and overall care so I guess you need to consider your past history and go from there.

Jorge

Reaction score
I had to buy Zeigler's ESP because Flood ESP did not cover vehicles in Florida. I got a 96 mo., 125,000 miles ESP for $4,200, but I did add lighting ESP. They also have it under commercial vehicle because I did purchase it under the company credit. (I heard the head light casing itself is around $2,000.) I have a 2017 with 47,000 miles on it, granted I bought the ESP before the 3 year / 36,000 mile factory warranty expired. Both Zeigler and Flood are reasonably priced however I did find that Flood is a little cheaper so if you can get the Flood get it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had esp on my 2018 Raptor…which got totaled @ 40k I never got a dime back for the extended warranty I never used & never had an issue in 40k miles, on my 2020 I now have 20k miles also trouble free. I would only consider getting it again if I had a lot of electronic options and/or the pano roof which is known to be troublesome, if it’s a part they can just remove & bolt back on….warranty good for that, aside from that I hate to say it but I have yet to find a ford dealer in my area of New England worth a damn, wouldn’t want ANY of the service depts I’ve dealt w/ thus far doing a lot of work on my truck.