Gen 2 Purchase Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedPanda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Raptor Fam,

Long time lurker and looking at purchasing a 2017 Raptor SCREW 802A, moonroof, carbon fiber, but no tech package (kinda a bummer but heard the ACC is finicky anyways). Has 82k miles and asking $55k, would love to get your guys thoughts.

- Dealer said they took it to Ford and it will need a new turbo soon, so they are going to replace it no additional cost
- Replacing tires as well

Here's the listing link. A few questions I was hoping you could give advice on:

- Price for mileage and age
- Color is listed as Oxford White but seems more AG to me. Anyone else?
- Idk if them calling out and replacing the turbo is a good or bad sign. Does it mean the engine wasn't treated well so it already is due for a new one? Or is this a great sign as a major item is being taken care of?
- Carfax is listed on site and shows two dates of camshafts being repaired/replaced (39k miles and 49k miles) - is this the cam phaser issue that is known?
- Anything else concerning on the carfax or things I should be on the lookout for?
- Is it kosher to ask the dealer for Ford's inspection report of the vehicle? Or can I take it on my own?

Thanks everyone! Really excited about potentially owning a Raptor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A few things jump out at me. On the listing, the stealership is adding a LOT of extras -

Our vehicles are equipped with Connect & Protect App for $599, Paint and Interior Protection for $399, LIfetime Window Tint for $499, Lifetime Nitrogen for $169 and Courtesy Certification for $999.

I think the asking price is a bit high, it’s gotten 20k + per year.
It’s white.
Turbo’s are a rare failure. It happens, but not frequently. I’d definitely pursue getting it fixed if you’re interested - before - you sign papers. I’d also ask that the service department validate whether or not the vehicle has been tuned. That could explain the turbo failure or it could be completely coincidental.

Before the final part revisions, there were some trucks that had multiple repair engagements and many of the cam phaser repairs where users posted work orders had cam shafts listed on them. I’d be curious to know if they could validate oil pressure at idle and under load.

I would definitely only purchase contingent upon a clean report from a Ford service department, preferably a reputable one. I may offer to pay for that inspection if I didn’t end up buying but would expect it to be included in the deal if I purchased.

A few ‘frequent flyer’ things.
- have the oil pan area inspected for leaks. This repair can be problematic with the plastic oil pan the ’17’s have. Most are fine.
- ask the -Ford- service department to lube the moon roof seals, and validate function, ensure the track isn’t broken or about to break.
- selling dealer replacing the tires. Hopefully they’re not planning on the cheapest tire in that size. stocker KO2’s are a bit on the spendy side for sure but if you’re new to the Raptor world, it may be good to stick with them. Unless you’re not new to off roading, and have a particular tire in mind.

Good luck !
#MaybeOneLesspriusSometimeSoon?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the carfax show the maintenance that was performed since new? Maintenance records are critical; if the oil wasn’t changed with by the dealer or Quick Lane and it’s not detailed on the carfax, there’s no telling what interval is was done at or what type of oil or filter was used. A turbocharger failure is attributable to a tune or a lack of lubrication, whether that be low oil level, extended oil change intervals, or poor quality oil or filters.

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Raptor Fam,

Long time lurker and looking at purchasing a 2017 Raptor SCREW 802A, moonroof, carbon fiber, but no tech package (kinda a bummer but heard the ACC is finicky anyways). Has 82k miles and asking $55k, would love to get your guys thoughts.

- Dealer said they took it to Ford and it will need a new turbo soon, so they are going to replace it no additional cost

- Idk if them calling out and replacing the turbo is a good or bad sign. Does it mean the engine wasn't treated well so it already is due for a new one? Or is this a great sign as a major item is being taken care of?
- Carfax is listed on site and shows two dates of camshafts being repaired/replaced (39k miles and 49k miles) - is this the cam phaser issue that is known?
- Anything else concerning on the carfax or things I should be on the lookout for?
- Is it kosher to ask the dealer for Ford's inspection report of the vehicle? Or can I take it on my own?

I would buy the ford ESP warranty if you can and all of the add ons , depends on if you have cash to do after the purchase. Every add on is like 200%. I would check if you can buy the ESP from ziegler I believe. Get a quote from Ziegler tell them to match the price.

will61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Raptor Fam,

Buy a new one for sticker or even over sticker. Paying 15k less than a new one for one that has 80k on it makes no sense IMO.

will61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only 2 times to buy a Raptor that make sense financially:

1. New (residual kicks ***)
2. 100k+ after it has depreciated by half

IMO

cubsalltheway

Reaction score
there are plenty of low mileage Gen 2s if you are patient. Look outside you local area and I'm sure you will find one that fits your checklist