Gen 2 Owners: Are you going to Gen 3, Gen 3-R or staying with your Gen 2??

Gen 2 Owners: Are you going to Gen 3, Raptor-R, RAM T-REX or staying with your Gen 2??

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm never buying a tech-laden vehicle used. Too high a chance that someone dumped it because electronic gremlins and you don't save enough money to compensate for the risk. You can still get a lemon buying new, but the odds are lower. Virtually all lemons get dumped in a year or two and end up on the used market.

It depends on the situation. I bought my a '17 Raptor in 2019 with less than 2k miles on it. Previous owner had a stable of vehicles and just didn't drive it much. If it were a '19 with 2k miles, agreed that there's a decent chance it had issues. I might still take that chance though, depending on how money I'm saving in the deal and known potential issues on the vehicle. I wasn't looking for a used vehicle at the time as I was set on getting a new Raptor...but this just fell in my lap.

And of course the other used vehicle I bought, in 2020, was a '16 F150 with 100k miles. That would not be a lemon.

I am doubtful I will buy used on a Gen 3 Raptor though. I don't think there will be many to be had used, or that they will be that much cheaper than new. So I will like opt to get that "only mine" feeling with new...plus get to go to Raptor Assault.

970rap

Reaction score
I bought my 2018 lightly used just over a year ago during the brief dip in prices at the beginning of Covid. Because of that, I scored a pretty good deal compared to current prices. From what I've seen about the Gen 3 the improvements aren't worth me dropping additional coin and I expect to have my Gen 2 for quite some time. I'll still be watching with interest, but I am not going to be a customer any time soon.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It depends on the situation. I bought my a '17 Raptor in 2019 with less than 2k miles on it. Previous owner had a stable of vehicles and just didn't drive it much.
Good point. If you have specific knowledge of the vehicle, that changes everything. Buying used off a car lot? Not me.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't make sense, they still offer a scab but not in a raptor, what gives??
Because the Raptor SCAB had a unique frame. On the regular F150 they just slap a longer bed on the same frame.

SuthJL

Reaction score
Neither for me. I'm actually getting rid of my Raptor for a 2021 F150 Lariat. I ordered it in March. Its delayed of course but one day I will get it. I am probably going to try and take advantage of the unbelievable used car market right now and dump the Raptor ASAP.

SuthJL

Reaction score
Neither for me. I'm actually getting rid of my Raptor for a 2021 F150 Lariat. I ordered it in March. Its delayed of course but one day I will get it. I am probably going to try and take advantage of the unbelievable used car market right now and dump the Raptor ASAP.

dirtgod

Reaction score
Raptor gen 2 is the first vehicle in many years that I haven’t had the itch to swap in 2-3 years (I even bought a Ford supplemental warranty..never done that before!). And the gen 3 hasn’t caused that itch to return. Love this truck and don’t see getting new gen 3 or anything else for a bit. Mine was bought new and is a ‘17 AG in color closing in on 40k and never a problem.

Wes H

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised to see how many are planning to sticking to their Gen2 here. I wasn't a fan of how the Gen3 looked aesthetically . . . but I know there were fans here. Interesting that so many are sticking with their Gen2, at least for now . . .