Gen 2 Owners: Are you going to Gen 3, Gen 3-R or staying with your Gen 2??

Gen 2 Owners: Are you going to Gen 3, Raptor-R, RAM T-REX or staying with your Gen 2??

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
My Gen 2 is great and I have no complaints. The Gen 3 looks soft (less aggressive) and that fugly blue interior is a deal killer for me. That’s just gross looking.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Waiting for what the R brings, my 18 has been great and no need to spend 25 K to upgrade to five link rear and 37...The tech means nothing to me. And if I’m really lucky they will ditch the blue interior or give us another color option for 37s by that time.

STHenry

Reaction score
Going to keep my 2018 for as long as I can. Truck looks good runs great so don't see the need to upgrade anytime soon.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm never buying a tech-laden vehicle used. Too high a chance that someone dumped it because electronic gremlins and you don't save enough money to compensate for the risk. You can still get a lemon buying new, but the odds are lower. Virtually all lemons get dumped in a year or two and end up on the used market.
I just don’t buy anything new. Doesn’t make sense to me. I keep them 10+ years. The tech will either show the bugs early or exist throughout the life of the model. No need to pay $70k when $50k will do.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just don’t buy anything new. Doesn’t make sense to me. I keep them 10+ years. The tech will either show the bugs early or exist throughout the life of the model. No need to pay $70k when $50k will do.
I've always checked the used market before I bought new. What I've found with pickups in Colorado is that if I buy at invoice it's not much more expensive to buy new. If you pay MSRP, or heaven forbid, ADM, then used looks more reasonable. And when I buy new I get exactly what I want and I know exactly how it's been maintained. So while I agree in principle, I've never found a good enough deal used to find it compelling.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. I like the grill separated from the headlights. I also look for a massive amount of room for heat exchangers (radiator, AC condenser, intercooler, trans cooler, etc.) And it feels like the gen 2 has more room though this may just be an optical illusion.

I only see two advantages of the gen 3 - the rear suspension and the 37’s stock. Not worth upgrading... at least initially.
Agree, the style of the front doesn't do as much for me as Gen2, and I'm not exactly wowed by the new interior either. The all-electronic gauge display is kinda cool, but the rest of the dash on over to the passenger side just doesn't excite me that much. Stock 37's are appealing, and the rear suspension is a nice upgrade but not sure I'd ever use it to full potential. Maybe the R will be enough to sway me, but now it's just overall 'meh'. Staying with my '17.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm never buying a tech-laden vehicle used. Too high a chance that someone dumped it because electronic gremlins and you don't save enough money to compensate for the risk.

@melvimbe had the closest to my opinion;

I’m hanging back waiting for some FRF to go all in on the gen3, and decide the have to move on to something more practical. By that time, fuel prices will be significantly higher, truck and SUV market will be on the way down and I’ll be able to help a brother out by getting them out from under their unloved Raptor and they’ll only be out a few thousand, plus the exorbitant ADM they paid.

Lucille earned a spot in my garage for a while, so she’s not going anywhere.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there was another choice - “I love my Gen2, interested in a gen3, will wait for the impatient guinea pigs to do additional R&D for 2 years before purchasing” then I’d pick that lol

I want a gen3 w/ 37” package, blue

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree, the style of the front doesn't do as much for me as Gen2, and I'm not exactly wowed by the new interior either. The all-electronic gauge display is kinda cool, but the rest of the dash on over to the passenger side just doesn't excite me that much. Stock 37's are appealing, and the rear suspension is a nice upgrade but not sure I'd ever use it to full potential. Maybe the R will be enough to sway me, but now it's just overall 'meh'. Staying with my '17.

do you like giving anything remotely close to wot on anything but perfectly smooth pavement when in 2wd?

if yes then YES you would enjoy the new coil over rear end