Gen 2 Owners: Are you going to Gen 3, Gen 3-R or staying with your Gen 2??

Gen 2 Owners: Are you going to Gen 3, Raptor-R, RAM T-REX or staying with your Gen 2??

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised to see how many are planning to sticking to their Gen2 here. I wasn't a fan of how the Gen3 looked aesthetically . . . but I know there were fans here. Interesting that so many are sticking with their Gen2, at least for now . . .
The front the Gen ugly(3) looks hideous….I understand why…

North796

Reaction score
I’m going to drive the **** out of my gen 2, when the motor blows, throw in a v8 and add not care when it gets beat up on the trail.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s manufacturing a completely different frame for an extremely low volume vehicle. And a different exhaust. It’s a heck of a lot to “throw under it”. The Raptor frame is different from the rest of the F150 line, and the SCAB frame, which sat under 10% of all Raptors sold, is another completely different frame. It sounds like you don’t understand automotive manufacturing very well.
It's not the manufacturing that costs. It's the Federal testing required. If you take the same frame, drivetrain, bumpers, etc. but drop a slightly different body onto it, it's a completely different vehicle when it comes to testing. All of the testing, not just the tests that would be affected by the change. You can thank the EPA for the lost diversity in out vehicle fleet.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keeping my gen 2, it'll have a 4.2L stroker, and coilspring rear suspension.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not the manufacturing that costs. It's the Federal testing required. If you take the same frame, drivetrain, bumpers, etc. but drop a slightly different body onto it, it's a completely different vehicle when it comes to testing. All of the testing, not just the tests that would be affected by the change. You can thank the EPA for the lost diversity in out vehicle fleet.

I'm sure it's the design and manufacturing and QC and EPA testing. If the manufacturing costs weren't such a big deal, than the Raptor interior would be completely different than other F150s, as well as many of the exterior parts too. Ford safes a lot of money by reusing the same parts on as many vehicles as possible.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the design and manufacturing and QC and EPA testing. If the manufacturing costs weren't such a big deal, than the Raptor interior would be completely different than other F150s, as well as many of the exterior parts too. Ford safes a lot of money by reusing the same parts on as many vehicles as possible.
Every reused part saves huge amounts of money, but it's not the cost of the parts or the cost of putting them together. What costs is the design time, specifiying, bidding out, generating a new bill of materials, maintaining the inventory, managing orders, switching over assembly lines, producing new artwork for advertising, possibly writing new software for special features, and so on.