Gen 2 overheating(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I took the truck into the dealer this past week, and they couldn't find anything wrong. Thermostat, fluids, pump, radiator, etc. All checked out. The truck has low miles as well.

Going hard up hills (no cargo or trailer load), 65F outside, with the AC on runs between 210 - 224. The temp bar stayed under the half way point the whole time.

The dealer said everything was running perfectly normal. They said the thermostat has a high pressure design set to these temps. Only to be concerned if the temp does not drop, hits > 245 for a long period, or if any gauge warnings come up.

Perhaps having the temp numbers appear at 230 and above is to warn the driver, and be mindful accordingly.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been more than a few instances where the thermostat sticks after a repair in which it was exposed to open air, such as during replacement of the phasers. I would suspect that to be the cause of the increase in temperatures that you’re seeing.
Thanks for your inputs, as I had this exact thing happen to me as well after having the cam phasers done last month. While the dealer was at it I went ahead and gave them the Full-Race radiator I had been putting off installing, so it was all done at once.
I got it back on a Wednesday night, Friday we hooked up our travel trailer and headed east over the mountains for a weekend baseball tournament for our son and it started to heat with each slight rise in the highway before we even got to the mountain pass....I stopped and checked for leaks, the fans were running, and let it sit for a bit while we got dinner and did the purge from the overflow, and still had to milk it over the mountain pass at 45 mph to keep it under 240 degF.
This was significant since last summer when it was 108 degF outside we were coming back from the coast across said mountain pass pulling the same trailer loaded down with a week of vacation with the AC running full blast and it heated to about the same temp (~240 degF) as last month when it was 39 degF and raining with the heat on (and that was coming home, which is a longer steeper climb coming from the coast to home).
Now it will get to 238 deg F when I stomp on it to pass someone. I took it back to the dealer and they did a vacuum test for leaks and air and found nothing other than when I pointed out they ripped a bunch of the radiator ducting (the funny rubberized cladding to try and direct more air through the radiator) when they removed it to replace the radiator.
I bought a 180 degF OEM thermostat for it and figured with that and a fresh vacuum fill it should never be a problem again...just the trouble of a much larger radiator and it actually now runs hotter is super frustrating.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I experienced the same issue for the first time last night in 3 years of owning my ‘19 with 31K miles. It was around 70* ambient temp, going up a slight uphill onramp around 70MPH with some boost, and saw that the coolant temp started displaying the temp. It hit around 236 for a split second and dropped back down to where the number stopped displaying. Never seen that happen before and wasn’t able to replicate it again last night.

That being said, cam phasers were replaced several months ago and I am running a tune with SVC intercooler and lights in front of intercooler.

Abel

Reaction score
I’ve taken it twice already and they keep saying it’s the shutters. I had them
Replace twice. I still get the temperature to go over 230 once I try to pass a car, flat roads, or going fast up hill.

sfemti33

Reaction score
Just adding myself to this thread. Very similar situation, starting happening after cam phaser replacement. I had them replace the thermostat and drove to/from Vegas from SLC this weekend. Issue persists. Back at the dealership now.

RJPJ181FT

Reaction score
I am having the same issue 2018 w/ 48K miles - all stock and purchased new/original owner. I used to be able to tow 6,000 lbs going 75mph up any grade - truck would never miss a beat or show high temps. After the cam phaser recall - it shows digital temps if I barely get on it to get up to speed on the freeway [not towing]. I notice that even under normal driving the rad fans come on and stay on longer than I am used to. Frustrating is an understatement. Had it back at the dealer 4 times and they are telling me FORD says it is not throwing a CEL and is "in range"... Truck operates as it should and send me on my way each time. New thermostat was installed with the "B" suffix last week - coolant flush and vacuum filled. Tried a local hill by my work today on my lunch break and 8th gear pull with no payload and throwing boost for 15+ seconds immediately gets the digital temps to show - 232deg and then as soon as you let off they go away within seconds. Ambient temp today was 73deg. Any help or guidance from what you guys find would be appreciated.

Last edited:

sfemti33

Reaction score
I am having the same issue 2018 w/ 48K miles. I used to be able to tow 6,000lbs going 75mph up any grade - truck would never miss a beat or show high temps. After the cam phaser recall - it shows digital temps if I barely get on it to get up tot speed on the freeway [not towing]. Frustrating is an understatement. Had it back at the dealer 4 times and they are telling me FORD says it is not throwing a CEL and is "in range"... Truck operates as it should and send me on my way.
I had thermostat and water pump replaced to no avail. New radiator fixed my problem, for what it's worth.

RJPJ181FT

Reaction score
I had thermostat and water pump replaced to no avail. New radiator fixed my problem, for what it's worth.
This helps! A new OEM or aftermarket? And you had to come out of pocket for it? My truck is still under warranty so trying to get any issues resolved before I have to foot the bill.