Gen 2 overheating(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfemti33

Reaction score
How did you get them to acknowledge the radiator was the problem and thus replace it? Sorry for the back and forth
No worries. I have a good relationship with my dealership and a great warranty. I also slip them a $20 after every warranty repair. The first 2 repairs didn't fix the problem so they kept the ticket open. They then reached out to ford corporate who stated to replace radiator. If that didn't work, they had some other outlandish ideas.
Honestly, I think I've gotten lucky with a good warranty, reasonable techs, who get s small tip when they take care of me.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue 2018 w/ 48K miles - all stock and purchased new/original owner. I used to be able to tow 6,000 lbs going 75mph up any grade - truck would never miss a beat or show high temps. After the cam phaser recall - it shows digital temps if I barely get on it to get up to speed on the freeway [not towing]. I notice that even under normal driving the rad fans come on and stay on longer than I am used to. Frustrating is an understatement. Had it back at the dealer 4 times and they are telling me FORD says it is not throwing a CEL and is "in range"... Truck operates as it should and send me on my way each time. New thermostat was installed with the "B" suffix last week - coolant flush and vacuum filled. Tried a local hill by my work today on my lunch break and 8th gear pull with no payload and throwing boost for 15+ seconds immediately gets the digital temps to show - 232deg and then as soon as you let off they go away within seconds. Ambient temp today was 73deg. Any help or guidance from what you guys find would be appreciated.
curious if you ever figured this out? my issue went away with flush and new thermostat

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having this exact issue as well on a 2018 I just bought. Going to take it in and see if thermostat is sticking.
Is there an easy way to confirm fan and shutter operation is correct?

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having this exact issue as well on a 2018 I just bought. Going to take it in and see if thermostat is sticking.
Is there an easy way to confirm fan and shutter operation is correct?
I think the dealer has a way to run a test, may be a way to run it in forscan as well. I think the shutter and fan system is rarely the issue.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that my thermostat failed after getting phasers done. It wasn't obvious. Only real symptoms were the cooling fans would run balls to the wall. And CHT was higher than I remember. I threw in a thermostat myself. Truck is now back to normal. I boiled the old thermostat on my stove. Sure enough, it wouldn't hardly open at all.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that my thermostat failed after getting phasers done. It wasn't obvious. Only real symptoms were the cooling fans would run balls to the wall. And CHT was higher than I remember. I threw in a thermostat myself. Truck is now back to normal. I boiled the old thermostat on my stove. Sure enough, it wouldn't hardly open at all.
Good post test to prove that!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good post test to prove that!
Tstats shoud always be tested prior to be installed as well, both to confirm fuction but also temperatures. It's a critical part on a high output engine.

The data when it starts to open, and when it's fully open are on the manufacutuers' website. The function of the tstat should be confirmed at both temps before being put in as a replacement part. I've seen them not fully open as they should right out of the box.