Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea, just swap the coil springs.

An additional thought would be to swap the OEM Gen1 springs with the Geiser Bros. springs. These might more effectively emulate the Gen2 spring length while providing both front lift, proper spring rate specific to Gen1, and since they are longer than OEM springs, provide for the added inherent travel of Gen2 shocks.

Thinking this is still a viable option, but the solution needs to be resourcefully and innovatively approached - was never going to be a simple straight-swap bolt-on mod, but it's likely not ridiculously insurmountable, either.

Last edited:

bamared

Reaction score
just picked up a set also, for this same reason.

1200 to my door for the complete set. i wont be able to do this for a few months so ill be following here. Also i think the front springs will swap over, as the gen2 look like they have a bigger dia around than the gen1. gen1 looks to stay the same size as from end to end, and gen2 looks to tapper at ends.

jpwrx2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into this for ever. I really hope a solution works out for the front! thanks for trying it

bamared

Reaction score
me too! waiting to hear about the comparison of the springs gen1 and gen2, and also any measurements of the gen1 and gen2 body of shock. Side by side comparison would be a great picture.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Following! What is the coil spring length? I'm running Geser Bros. springs and if they would fit,....

i wonder that as well. i believe the 1st gen springs will be too narrow to work. i did hear they are doing a progressive set specific for the 3.0 factory shock.

that is where i would put my eggs for hopes of this working.

bamared

Reaction score
first issue is to solve the spring rubbing the shaft, than if that works it might possibly clear the frame. than, setup spring correctly for weight and length. first step would be to find something that will fit.

i dont think the body of the shock is much different, mostly thinking spring rate, OD, and length is the main issue. Still interested to see how the Gen1 spring fits on the Gen2 shock. that will tell us the most.

***** also noticed that in the pictures posted, the spring is very close to the front of the shock, and way out on the back by the drive shaft, i wonder if the spring was rotated on the shock body if it would clear? or just swap left side for right side. Point being, the spring looks closer to shock body, and if possible to rotate to give clearance.

2010 front coil PN# from Tascaparts.com
Coil Spring- 560 lbs per inch, 13.25 " of normal working height, ID is 4.0" , 0.746 wire dia.
Part Number: HL3Z-5310-A

2017 Front Coil PN# from Tascaparts.com
Coil Spring- 533 lbs per inch
Part Number: AL3Z-5310-B

Link to Eibach lift for 2017 Gen2 with spring rates listed. Interesting..... Stock Gen2 is 533 but move to 583 with these springs..level kit...
https://www.cjponyparts.com/eibach-...front-lift-springs-f-150-raptor-2017/p/EBLK1/

Last edited:

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first issue is to solve the spring rubbing the shaft, than if that works it might possibly clear the frame. than, setup spring correctly for weight and length. first step would be to find something that will fit.

i dont think the body of the shock is much different, mostly thinking spring rate, OD, and length is the main issue. Still interested to see how the Gen1 spring fits on the Gen2 shock. that will tell us the most.

***** also noticed that in the pictures posted, the spring is very close to the front of the shock, and way out on the back by the drive shaft, i wonder if the spring was rotated on the shock body if it would clear? or just swap left side for right side. Point being, the spring looks closer to shock body, and if possible to rotate to give clearance.

The spring should be symmetrical, and in thinking of a previous responder's post, any Geiser Gen2 spring would likely have the same coil OD as stock. The pivotal issue would be if a Gen1 coil would effectively fit over a Gen2 shock body. If it won't then custom coil springs would be a fix, but don't know how practical that would prove to be.

Anyone have access to both and can get those dimensions?

Last edited:

bamared

Reaction score
this is for the 2010, looking for the 2017 info

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 12.11.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 12.11.34 PM.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 212

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also looks like the coil tapers at the bottom where it sits on the lower coil seat. THAT is the critical dimension since it must fit over the 2017/8 shock.