Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running Deaver’s +2 with extended RPG shackle and mid perch up front. Sits pretty close to level maybe .5” lower in front. Going to try my luck with Gen2 3.0 shocks as it’s about time for a shock rebuild. Going to install extended brake lines and limit straps.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you folks that have made the swap successfully. Does the Gen2 fronts require the installation of an adjustable coil spring spacer? Are the springs similar in length?

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock gen 1 springs is what you use for the swap. This will make the truck sit level.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock gen 1 springs is what you use for the swap. This will make the truck sit level.
I am fully aware of this. Basically, my question is “will the Gen1 springs fit loosely on the Gen2 shocks after the top hat is installed? Or does it fit tight and not have the ability to move around?

If so I figured the adjustable collar would take up some of the space left over by a possibly shorter overall length of coil spring after the swap.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fully aware of this. Basically, my question is “will the Gen1 springs fit loosely on the Gen2 shocks after the top hat is installed? Or does it fit tight and not have the ability to move around?

If so I figured the adjustable collar would take up some of the space left over by a possibly shorter overall length of coil spring after the swap.

As outlined in the thread, the spring fits fine. Since the strut is longer, the spring is compressed quite a bit.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the gen 1 spring isn’t compressed very much when installed on the gen 2 shock. If I remember correctly you might not need a spring compressor to put the top hat on. ONLY putting it on do not remove either spring without the spring compressor you will die.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the gen 1 spring isn’t compressed very much when installed on the gen 2 shock. If I remember correctly you might not need a spring compressor to put the top hat on. ONLY putting it on do not remove either spring without the spring compressor you will die.
Again I am aware of this. If I remember correctly these coils are preloaded at 500 lbs. I kind of thought the Gen1 springs might be a little sloppy fitting afterwards due to a slightly shorter spring. Hence the need for an aftermarket perch collar. I’m curious if at full droop does the spring flip around. I used to have an old Jeep that the front coil spring would be completely loose when fully articulated.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it doesn’t flop around. When you install the coil on the shock it is already extended out as far as the shock will go since it’s a coil on strut. Not like Jeeps with a shock that is to long. If you add a spring perch it will lift it more probably closer to top perch with gen 1 struts.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it doesn’t flop around. When you install the coil on the shock it is already extended out as far as the shock will go since it’s a coil on strut. Not like Jeeps with a shock that is to long. If you add a spring perch it will lift it more probably closer to top perch with gen 1 struts.
Good to know, makes sense. I’m about to install a set of Gen2’s I have sitting in the garage and was just trying to answer some question prior to the install.

If the rear shock mount was redesigned and raised an inch, technically it would provide a usable couple inches of travel over stock correct? Given the gen2 rear shocks are longer. This would allow the rear to cycle completely without bottoming out on itself? Also provided hydraulic bump setup that allowed higher compression travel.