Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dasyrup

Reaction score
Easiest and best solution is to put a shim (1 to 1 1/2 inch) here to limit down stroke

f5f3ec4b4dc78b7d53313396e8ca23bc.jpg

Next alt solution is to modify the hat mounting bearing "upwards" that same amount

1e31af83778b5dc340eb2c743101ba50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Where were you 330 posts ago!? Now we are getting somewhere...How hard would the first mod be with the shim? And the hat mod is way beyond smarter than my idea lol. Good stuff I like it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Svtcrew

Reaction score
Where were you 330 posts ago!? Now we are getting somewhere...How hard would the first mod be with the shim? And the hat mod is way beyond smarter than my idea lol. Good stuff I like it.

Now we need to find a shop willing to do the shim mod, problem is, all the shock rebuilding shops won't want to take away business when they are charging us $600+ to rebuild an old set, and we can go out and buy a new set of 3.0's for $650....

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shims won't solve the issue. You'll still have a near fully compressed shock when sitting still, (with no real uptravel left to speak of) and you'll still be crashing your UCA onto the spring at full droop.

The "easiest and best" solution is to use correctly engineered parts for your truck.

dasyrup

Reaction score
Shims won't solve the issue. You'll still have a near fully compressed shock when sitting still, (with no real uptravel left to speak of) and you'll still be crashing your UCA onto the spring at full droop.

The "easiest and best" solution is to use correctly engineered parts for your truck.
For the record I dont think there is a single person on this thread even the guys who were willing to go full mad max and have a death duel in the desert over these shocks earlier in the thread want or are looking to be out of spec on they're trucks. If Fox/king or icon turned around and said we are selling our gen1 factory 3.0s for $669 this thread wouldn't exist.
But the fact is even out of spec the sacrificial lambs that did the mod report the gen 2 3.0s light years better than stock 2.5s and the pricepoints of rebuilt 2.5s are more expensive than they're superior gen2s. If WW2 taught us anything it's that you can engineer just about anything not only make it work but make it extremely efficient. That is our goal, find a way to make it work. Hell some company might make a ton of money coming up with the solution.....
This for me then is a band-aid all the while searching for those elusive used gen1 3.0s for the right price.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what the rebuild is for me...a band aid until I can afford the 3.0 Kings I want. Cost difference between the rebuild and the Gen 2’s is about $600, which ain’t very much in the universe of Raptor stuff.

Sliderpilot

Reaction score
Wow, what great information I found with this thread after I got the news that my rear left side stock shock on my 2013 scab had "zero" nitrogen, which explains the clunking I have been hearing lately. I had all 4 shocks rebuilt by reputable company 10 months & 6000 miles ago and the pressures are good on the other three shocks. Since I cannot take the time for another re-build on one shock, I am considering the upgrade to the 3.0 Gen2's for just the rear. I admit to being a mall crawler, daily driver, with just an occasional flat farm field fun. My shop knows this about me, and before I call TSW for one, or a set of rear Gen1 exchanges, I may just upgrade to the Gen2 shocks, which are less expensive, and according to this thread, will not raise the rear, and provide a smoother ride......I hope....
See y'all at Starbucks!
:)

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score
I have had my gen 2s on for over a month now, I drive over
Wow, what great information I found with this thread after I got the news that my rear left side stock shock on my 2013 scab had "zero" nitrogen, which explains the clunking I have been hearing lately. I had all 4 shocks rebuilt by reputable company 10 months & 6000 miles ago and the pressures are good on the other three shocks. Since I cannot take the time for another re-build on one shock, I am considering the upgrade to the 3.0 Gen2's for just the rear. I admit to being a mall crawler, daily driver, with just an occasional flat farm field fun. My shop knows this about me, and before I call TSW for one, or a set of rear Gen1 exchanges, I may just upgrade to the Gen2 shocks, which are less expensive, and according to this thread, will not raise the rear, and provide a smoother ride......I hope....
See y'all at Starbucks!
:)

Gen 2 shocks will raise the rear about half an inch, so your truck will sit more aggressively

dasyrup

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with evil offroad/manufacturing weld in limit strap kit made for the gen 1? I ordered a set. By pics and what rep told me looks to be a no brainer measurements already taken so you cant mess anything up and weld in piece on upper mount is form fitted to a specific location and the $174 price point still puts me under gen 1 rebuilds. And for added insurance I'll keep them on when I get the DSC units eventually. Post some pics when this project starts.

dasyrup

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Fox to see if I can get some free or inexpensive stickers for the rear opposed shock instead of heating them up to transfer sides. Everything was going fine and I was about to get a price until I told the rep what it was for. Then I got transferred to another guy who told me they cant sell them to me cause ford holds the rights to the stickers for a few years lol and if u go to ford a shock will have to come with your sticker. So for future reference tell them your gonna stick them on your head or tool box or phantom gen 2 raptor cause either A. It's a lawsuit thing or more likely B. They are greedy and dont like the fact that I'm not dropping 6k on 3.0 DSCs. And if this sticker silliness is indeed true well then that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.....