Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the stock cv's are the limiter in the front. RCV makes cv's that do extreme angles but they are $2700 a set
Btw on the front, the gen 2 shock body is (1.5?) Longer... So you will lose much more than that in travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should be able to get side-by-side measurements this weekend, but similar to the rear, the compression travel would presumably be reduced by the 1.8" increase in the Gen II front travel. Unlike the rear, extra droop is harder to come by.

I ran out of daylight this weekend and just left the one Gen II shock in the rear, so I'm rolling with 1 of each out back. Can't really tell much difference, but I'm probably going to commit to the Gen II shocks out back. I'll space the bumps for now and upgrade to Deavers or RXTs later. I have another dunes trip coming, so we'll see how it does then.

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to double check my math, but it seems that Ford was kind enough to give us an extra 2" of margin on the rear bump stops (this is measuring to the edge of the metal cup on the bumps, not to the tip of the rubber). Since the Gen II shocks are 1.5" longer than stock when compressed there's still .5" margin plus whatever thickness of the rubber bumps at max compression. The rears are drop in upgrades!

Up front, I managed to shoehorn one Gen II shock in with the spring and hat switched over. The Gen II fully compressed was only 1.25" longer, but it only drooped out about 5/8" lower than stock, and I couldn't see it hitting the spring or anything. The CV seemed to turn ok, so not sure what's limiting it. Even if you use that extra 5/8", you're still losing 5/8" which probably translates to at least 1" at the wheel. I'm keeping the rears, but I don't think the fronts are worth it.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need to double check my math, but it seems that Ford was kind enough to give us an extra 2" of margin on the rear bump stops (this is measuring to the edge of the metal cup on the bumps, not to the tip of the rubber). Since the Gen II shocks are 1.5" longer than stock when compressed there's still .5" margin plus whatever thickness of the rubber bumps at max compression. The rears are drop in upgrades!

Up front, I managed to shoehorn one Gen II shock in with the spring and hat switched over. The Gen II fully compressed was only 1.25" longer, but it only drooped out about 5/8" lower than stock, and I couldn't see it hitting the spring or anything. The CV seemed to turn ok, so not sure what's limiting it. Even if you use that extra 5/8", you're still losing 5/8" which probably translates to at least 1" at the wheel. I'm keeping the rears, but I don't think the fronts are worth it.

The reason its only 5/8 more droop is because the cv's are essentially binding. They still turn because everything is still "new" and nothing is f'd up yet. However once you put a load on that (4x4 and full droop) they will start to go south quick.
Again as i said before, remove front shocks and let the front suspension droop...you will see that the gen 2 shocks are longer than what you have.
Keep the truck in 2x4 in the Starbucks drivethru and you are good to go [emoji106][emoji2534]

Tx State

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So gen 2 rears are good to go in the back? Also are you saying with the gen 2s in the front we are losing an inch of down travel?

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason its only 5/8 more droop is because the cv's are essentially binding. They still turn because everything is still "new" and nothing is f'd up yet. However once you put a load on that (4x4 and full droop) they will start to go south quick.
Again as i said before, remove front shocks and let the front suspension droop...you will see that the gen 2 shocks are longer than what you have.
Keep the truck in 2x4 in the Starbucks drivethru and you are good to go [emoji106][emoji2534]

I feel like Ford gave a bit of margin on the CVs. Do you know what's the max angle/torque they can take? 4x4 at full droop would mean that there's nothing besides inertial load since the wheels are off the ground and not reacting against anything, so the load on the CVs wouldn't be like 4L floored.

halojunkie

Reaction score
I read a lot of promises/guarantees saying there would be people posting all of the catastrophic failures associated with this mod. So, either the know-it-all's were full of shit, or modders are too proud to admit failure. I'd really like to know how its going with the people that made this work. If you have any long/mid term results or feedback on this please reply. If you're a do-nothing, keyboard warrior, self-titled suspension expert, please keep moving. Also bump for limit strap pics.

Gashawg

Reaction score
Well I didn’t find the Gen 2 rears to be a simple bolt on as previously stated. Sure, some cleaning up with a grinder is easy work.

039B4E98-E29D-4EBC-A7B9-2D5B8D51FF9C.jpeg

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of promises/guarantees saying there would be people posting all of the catastrophic failures associated with this mod. So, either the know-it-all's were full of shit, or modders are too proud to admit failure. I'd really like to know how its going with the people that made this work. If you have any long/mid term results or feedback on this please reply. If you're a do-nothing, keyboard warrior, self-titled suspension expert, please keep moving. Also bump for limit strap pics.

I live is southeast Michigan so not a lot of off-roading goes on here. I have not jumped so I cannot vouch for what may happen if you get some air however I had a lot of fun in the snow and in 4wd over this winter and have had zero issues with my fronts and rears. I do not have any limiting straps because again I haven’t had it anywhere to jump. The ride is great, gave me clearance for my 37’s, and was in my eyes a great upgrade for the price over my stock 2.5’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tx State

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going on 1000+ miles with 50-100 being offroad on gen 2 in the fronts and no issues so far.