GEN 2 Gen 2 more problematic than Gen 1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK92

Reaction score
I have a Gen 1, but I'm currently looking to sell it (https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/alpharetta-2011-ford-150-svt-raptor/7511021679.html). I'm thinking about buying a Gen 2 after getting rid of my current one. However, (maybe I'm going crazy but) from browsing FRF I've noticed that Gen 2 seems to have more problems than the Gen 1. I'm concerned about the reliability/longevity of a Gen 2 after spending $55k (my current budget) for a 90k mile truck.

What is y'all's experience with the reliability of Gen 2 vs. Gen 1?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well there is an old saying. "Never buy the first year"

With that I normally purchase the last year or at least well into a product cycle.

7.3 PSD F350 10 months before 6.0 production began

SHO 2 years before production ended, but the chasis had been around for 10 years and the drive train for 7.

The 2015-2018 F150(including 2017-2018 Raptor) had quite a few issues. Ford tried some things and some of those things did not work so well.

Most notably cam phasers and the plastic lower oil pan.

Just a few weeks ago after a 6ish month search I purchased a 2020 Raptor.

It was built about 45 days before the switch to the 2021 model.

It has the one piece aluminum oil pan and I believe the latest cam phasers (I believe most 2019's have these as well).

I would have a hard time buying a used vehicle with 90k on the odometer, but that is me.

I run a repair shop and we definitely work on a lot of 2015-2018 F150s (2017 seems to be the worst) but we work on a lot of everything.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another thing upgraded on at least my truck (again last 4 months of production was actually part of my requirement for purchase) is the turbo coolant lines are different and don't have the "quick connection " fittings that I see leak all the time. I am not sure when that change happened, but I believe 2019 as well.

The fittings are used in many Auto applications and I have never seen them last long term. GM has been a fan of them for a couple decades, that should have been Ford's clue that they were garbage.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re going to see more posts about Gen 2 because Ford sold significantly more of them than they did Gen 1. It’s not indicative of the actual reliability or longevity. I’ve had no reliability issues with my Gen 2, just a noisy sway bar end link that was recently repaired under warranty.

The most important aspect when looking at used trucks is maintenance. Turbocharged engines in general are hard on oil, if the PO ran extended oil change intervals or missed oil changes, that will compromise the longevity of the engine. Also make sure all recalls were performed, including 21B10, which prevents the cam phaser noise issue from occurring.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 100K miles on my Gen 1 taking it on many Baja trips, drove it hard and my Gen1 always got me home! My 18' Gen2 although never been to Baja (just messing around King of the Hammers and such) is a great truck in its own, but at 50K now it has been and is now in the shop again. Phazers, wastegate rattles, cats, sunroofs & numerous other issues. (Luckly I have the aluminum pan) The power is better and so is the suspension in the big stuff if you can keep the back end planted. (hate the back end on this truck and its fixable but should I have too?). For the price of these trucks Ford could do better. This truck is not a keeper, should have kep my Gen1.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 1, but I'm currently looking to sell it (https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/alpharetta-2011-ford-150-svt-raptor/7511021679.html). I'm thinking about buying a Gen 2 after getting rid of my current one. However, (maybe I'm going crazy but) from browsing FRF I've noticed that Gen 2 seems to have more problems than the Gen 1. I'm concerned about the reliability/longevity of a Gen 2 after spending $55k (my current budget) for a 90k mile truck.

What is y'all's experience with the reliability of Gen 2 vs. Gen 1?
I think that it depends on what truck you get. My gen 2 has had zero problems. If you get a truck that has been beat to death and not maintained that will be a problem truck. Be very careful. $55k seams a lot for a 90k and make sure it isn't a beater off roader. Check other posts to tell if it is or is not an off roader that has been beaten to death.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re going to see more posts about Gen 2 because Ford sold significantly more of them than they did Gen 1. It’s not indicative of the actual reliability or longevity. I’ve had no reliability issues with my Gen 2, just a noisy sway bar end link that was recently repaired under warranty.
Very true, F150 sales over all were around 200,000 units more per year 2016-2019 than the 2010-2014 time frame.

The Raptor at its core is an F150 and for me at least the most common issues are common across the f150 line. the unique Raptor parts are actually not problematic at all.

The original SHO engine was made by Yamaha, and in the SHO crowd that I used to be a part of there was a saying.
" You can tell where Yamaha ends and Ford begins" this was in regards to how in the end the SHO was really a Taurus to start and had all the issues a regular Taurus had.

Well for me I can see where the Raptor ends and the F150 begins.

For example, I took my Raptor out last weekend. Mind you I purchased mine to do exactly what it was designed/made/promoted to do. And going 70mph through the desert I had a "park brake malfunction" warning pop up (2019 up park brakes are electronic for those that don't know). I checked it out when I had time to stop and a rock (I assume a rock) hit the left parking brake motor and damaged it. On Monday I ordered the part and Monday night I repaired it, but looking the calipers and wiring harness have no shielding and are just normal F150 items. For and Off road dedicated vehicle they could have moved the caliper to behind the axle or put a shield over it (there was a recall on the '99 super duty that added a shield for basically the same thing, and ford moved the left caliper behind the axle also, funny how they have long term memory problems).

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Ford Fan, family has had nothing but Fords since 1946. My wife had a chevy when we were dating 30 years ago. stipulation before a proposal would be made was that car had to go and be replaced with a ford, two days later she had a Ford and I proposed 4 days later.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Had the parking brake issue come up when truck was a few weeks old, had the valve covers replace for oil consuption, had 21B10 programming performed to keep phasers from going into wrong position, and had the whole transmission, cooler and lines replaced at that time.

Runs great and no new issues.

2019 @ 34,227 miles and I love it.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put 42K miles on my 2017 and had no issues. I currently have 30K miles on my 2020 and haven't had any issues with it yet.