Gen 2 Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I noticed about my 2019 is how heavy the hood is. Anyone know why it is so heavy, I mean it feels twice the weight of my 2016 FX4 hood..

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you actually removed your hood, it sounds like you may have a weak/under pressurized strut.

I assume Raptor hoods are physically heavier from the plastic “vent” insert and additional stiffening bends around the perimeter of the vent to compensate for the huge hole cut in the hood for the vent, but the struts should compensate for that additional mass to relieve the felt weight. Very similar to the torsion bar in flex step tail gates vs no torsion bar in regular tail gates. The flex step is much heavier, but feels the same, or even lighter due to the torsion bar assist.

That said, I’ve only owned a Raptor in this generation Ford truck, so I have no reference to compare. It’s certainly possible that Ford uses the same strut part # on both Raptors and non-Raptor F150s. I’ll check out my neighbor’s ‘19 F150 Lariat later today.

Fun fact re: the vented hood: Don’t know if you noticed, but there are actual vents only in the first couple ridges where there is a low pressure area above the hood. This allows the hot engine compartment air to escape...doesn’t make aerodynamic (or cooling) sense to have vents in the high pressure area towards the base of the windshield, unless you’re going for some form of cowl induction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, let me know if you notice any difference.. could be the strut but truck is brand new.. I know that doesn't mean the strut can't be bad.

shortdeck

Reaction score
The Raptor hood is much heavier and bigger and made from a composite material. The regular F-150 hood is all aluminum. The hood struts between the two trucks are different as well because of the additional weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
How cold is it there? Not sure if it would make sense for a newer strut to lose some strength in cold weather, but if the strut is marginal, like an older SUV hatch, I have noticed a big difference with temps.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I kno
First thing I noticed about my 2019 is how heavy the hood is. Anyone know why it is so heavy, I mean it feels twice the weight of my 2016 FX4 hood..

I know right, I lifted the hood yesterday and it is a lot heavier than my 2014 FX4.

OP
OP
Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor hood is much heavier and bigger and made from a composite material. The regular F-150 hood is all aluminum. The hood struts between the two trucks are different as well because of the additional weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks exactly how it feels too. The temp was 60* out when I picked the truck up but noticed it right away.. after being under the hood now a few times just checking fluids and adding a CAI. I really just wanted to ask make sure it wasn't me..lol

OP
OP
Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder who will be the first to offer a lighter version of a Raptor hood.. Hint Hint

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One reason I bought a raptor was for the composite hood and fenders. So much nicer than the aluminum wavy body panels.